This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Discussion on deer food plots

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
CountryCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32466
eBay ID: Seth.James.S
Tractors Owned: Partial ownership with BRay
1951 Cub- Andy
1949 Cub- Amos
1957 Cub- Elsie
1955 Cub- Swamp cub
1948 Lo-Boy- Anna
1949 H- Boss Man
1950 C-
1953 Super C-
International Cadet-Scooter
Cub Cadet- Louis Martin

Re: Discussion on deer food plots

Postby CountryCub » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Sometime within the next two weeks, im going to disk my plot and plant it with either rye or that attractant from wal-mart. Hopefully this year will be my first time harvesting a deer, ever. :mrgreen: My bait will be regular whole-kernal corn. Im planning to only take one doe, since the only buck around is a 4pt. (that I know of) Well, good luck er'body this season. :)
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today." --Robert E. LeeImage

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Trent M » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Don't be fooled by something advertized as an attractant. If it is legal to pour some corn out that is probably the best thing to do to attract deer, as long as they pass by anyway. Is it legal for you to put out a salt block? That would work as well.

We don't all have a herd full of big bucks, but that shouldn't affect the hunting experience. We work with what we have! :wink: :D
Trent McPeak

CountryCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Cub- Andy
1949 Cub- Amos
1957 Cub- Elsie
1955 Cub- Swamp cub
1948 Lo-Boy- Anna
1949 H- Boss Man
1950 C-
1953 Super C-
Cub Cadet- Louis Martin

Postby CountryCub » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:39 pm

It's a seed, Can't remember the name, but they have a small sized bag for around $8, all I need for my plot. Corn is legal and will be my main food source. Here, it's from $7- $7.50. Im checking with Florida Fish and Widlife to see if saltlick is legal, too. Im plan to build a feeder (corn) to hang from a tree. Im only going to take a doe this year, so my little 4 point can grow. We have plenty of does :mrgreen: By the way, what caliber gun do you use?
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today." --Robert E. LeeImage

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:07 am

You have a good plan, one that WAY TOO MANY hunters miss ... you have to let the bucks live to let 'em grow. Too many hunters think they have to get a buck every year and don't care how small it is. Then they wonder why there are no big bucks. Last year, I let a decent 8-pointer walk during shotgun season.

In Illinois, the archery season lasts from Oct 1 'til the middle of January. We have 2 gun seasons: 3-day weekend before Thanksgiving and 4-day weekend after Thanksgiving. Shotguns w/slugs only - no rifles. I use my 12 gauge. The very sparse shotgun season and no rifles are surely reasons the deer hunting is so good in Illinois.
Trent McPeak

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:40 pm

CountryCub2 wrote:Im checking with Florida Fish and Widlife to see if saltlick is legal, too. Im plan to build a feeder (corn) to hang from a tree. Im only going to take a doe this year, so my little 4 point can grow. By the way, what caliber gun do you use?
Missouri puts out free a small booklet titled Wildlife Code for Missouri, Rules of the Conservation Commission coverning all wildlife laws. They also put out pamphlets for each season: deer, trapping, fishing, etc..

In Missouri the feeder has to be empty for a considerable length of time before deer season starts. I think 30 days. The salt and/or mineral lick, if for cattle they can be left out year around, drawing in deer, no.

Size and type of gun or weapon used to hunt deer varies by State and if the individual has a phyiscal handicap. Iowa is shot gun only. Missouri is a rifle state. I use a 30-06 and a 20 gauge with rifled barrel in Missouri.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:05 pm

Trent M wrote:You have a good plan, one that WAY TOO MANY hunters miss ... you have to let the bucks live to let 'em grow. Too many hunters think they have to get a buck every year and don't care how small it is. Then they wonder why there are no big bucks. Last year, I let a decent 8-pointer walk during shotgun season.

In Illinois, the archery season lasts from Oct 1 'til the middle of January. We have 2 gun seasons: 3-day weekend before Thanksgiving and 4-day weekend after Thanksgiving. Shotguns w/slugs only - no rifles. I use my 12 gauge. The very sparse shotgun season and no rifles are surely reasons the deer hunting is so good in Illinois.

Big Horn sheep have evolved smaller horns in a very short period of time. Hunters have selected the trophies and Nature has responded. I have a food plot here in CT. It is otherwise known as my garden. I was cutting a downed oak tree in the woods this week and the soft ground was full of deer tracks. Bow only here in the 'burbs but my cousin has a disability waiver so he can use a crossbow. I hope he fills his freezer this season so I can fill mine next year!

CountryCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Cub- Andy
1949 Cub- Amos
1957 Cub- Elsie
1955 Cub- Swamp cub
1948 Lo-Boy- Anna
1949 H- Boss Man
1950 C-
1953 Super C-
Cub Cadet- Louis Martin

Postby CountryCub » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:59 pm

Salt lick is legal only on privite land; on public, no consumable lures can be used. I'll be using a 7mm browning semi-automatic.Haha, I know that's huge, but im a country boy raised on shotguns, i'll manage. Im also hoping for some turkey action. We have November 20- 29 then December 12- January 17. I'll have to borrow my neighbors 12 Ga.

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:52 pm

Trent M wrote:You have a good plan, one that WAY TOO MANY hunters miss ... you have to let the bucks live to let 'em grow. Too many hunters think they have to get a buck every year and don't care how small it is. Then they wonder why there are no big bucks. Last year, I let a decent 8-pointer walk during shotgun season.

Trent, you forgot muzzle loaders and more importantly... HANDGUN :-:-):

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Bob in CT wrote:Big Horn sheep have evolved smaller horns in a very short period of time. Hunters have selected the trophies and Nature has responded. I have a food plot here in CT. It is otherwise known as my garden. I was cutting a downed oak tree in the woods this week and the soft ground was full of deer tracks. Bow only here in the 'burbs but my cousin has a disability waiver so he can use a crossbow. I hope he fills his freezer this season so I can fill mine next year!

Horns are very different from antlers. Antlers are shed and regrown each year. The 2 main reasons an area may not have large-antlered bucks are lack of nutrition and lack of age. A buck doesn't grow his biggest set of antlers until he is 5 or 6 years old and most never get there because too many hunters whack the little ones. The lack of nutrition aspect has been long-since proved in Texas. There were no big bucks down there until they started food plot and supplemental feeding programs, now they have some of the biggest in the country.

Of course Illinois has no such problems with nutrition, I just plant food plots for 2 reasons:

To hopefully see more deer while hunting ... and ...

More seat time on my Cubs!!! :{_}:
Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:55 pm

The plots are doing great. The oats are 8-12" tall (where they haven't been eaten) and the turnips are getting big as well. It should frost soon and the deer will be on the turnips when the greens get sweeter. I'll try to remember to take a pic next time I go out there.

On another topic, I've noticed that the persimmon trees are not doing very well this year. :? I usually have lots of them hanging in the trees. I need to check the big ol' 'simmon tree and see if it is loaded or not.
Trent McPeak

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”