This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I need recommendations on wich tractors will meet my needs.

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:11 am

PG, Hydraulics were available on a Super A, but not on an A. You might want to pay attention to that when looking at Tracotrs.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

FarmerFred888
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmerFred888 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:24 am

I am going to have to agree with the rest, a Cub will do everything you need, as i have had my fair shair of experiences w/ them. My grandfather and many of the other old timers used to farm with them and they agree it will do what you want. I have a Super A though and the extra power can be a lifesaver. I use it to grade and pull my small equipment, usually in my 1.5 acre garden. I also use my Super A to mow my 20 acres of yard, roadside, and ditch side and w/ it's Woods L59 Mower it does a great job, better than many regular lawn mowers. Here in Northwest Ohio we have the worst winters in the U.S. i have seen 24 inches of snow, and my grandfather remembers the blizard of '78 and there were drifts up against his barn 30' to 40' high. The extensive flats also contribute to a lot of wind. I have used my Super A once or twice to remove snow but I prefer using my Ford Jubilee though for that amount because the wider tires contribut to better traction so i dont slip as much. In the larger snow which is 36" or more i use my 138 HP International 5088 with my 10' wide snow blower. The Super A will Handle 18" if you use snow chains and take it easy. I have done these jobs w/ a cub and it works, but the Super A is far superior, plus you don't have to hunt for a touch control hydraulic lift system. Hope some of these first hand experiences and insights help you on your decision.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Tractor Recommendations

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:13 am

How big an acreage are you planning on living on?

My recommendation. Live hydraulics, live PTO and 3-point hitch are a must have.

Lots of variables. My first recommendation is a WD or WD45 Allis Chalmers. One in very good condition will cost between $1000 and $2000- They have live hydraulics, live PTO, somewhere around 30 (WD) to 40 (WD45) horsepower. Weigh in at 4000 pounds. Come with a factory installed 2-point hitch. An after market 3-point hitch for the WD series can be purchased for around $350-. Lots of farm equipment will mount up with little or no modifications. Easy tractor to work on and parts are readily available at most auto parts and tractor supply stores.

I also own a Cub. The Cub is a great tractor but to light in weight and under powered for some jobs on 40 acres of rocks and hills (actually one side of the propety is a limestone cliff) in central Missouri.

Eugene

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:01 am

Eugene,

We bought 20 acres. I plan on having close to a city sized yard or smaller so I'm not spending my Saturdays mowing acres of yard.

My concerns are snow removal (long driveway), landscaping, gardening, hauling wood, etc. I'm not going to farm the place.

I see you're from Linn, MO. Been there a few times. Close to Frankenstein if I remember correctly. And I think Chamois is nearby.

Dan

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:43 pm

I saw this in the classifieds. What do you think???

http://photobucket.com/albums/v43/pgmrd ... 1744AA.jpg

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:27 pm

Looks like a nice original tractor.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:00 pm

Any ball park guess as to what it's worth?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:48 pm

Check out the list of items at the link. If it passes all of them then I would say it would be worth $1500 give or take.
Bigdog

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:18 pm

List of items at the link???

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:18 pm

It woulda been nice if I'd included the link huh?

http://www.antique-tractor.com/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html#q10
Bigdog

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:34 pm

Great! Thanks for the information.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:50 am

If you are buying the land now and won't be moving on to it for two years you will have a lot of brush start up. Better consider cutting the open part once or twice a year.in the mean while.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:25 am

Bill,

I had been thinking about that very thing.

Two guys are haying the place regularly now (4 times this year). I told them they can continue. I'll find out next spring if they're going to continue. I don't want the place overrun with brush.

If they don't keep haying the place I may have a lot of mowing to do a couple times a year.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:38 pm

Good plan. It is a win win no brush for you and hay for them. I had a similar deal for a while. I even let the guy grow corn in one of the fields for 2 years. Cooperative extension said 2 years corn then back to hay because it was too steep for continuous corn. Went ok 5 or 6 more years. I told Danny he could do corn again if he wanted to. Somebody had crossed him on something and he was mad at the world. Needless to say that was the end of that. His father died around the same time too. Dad did most of the field work so that was part of it too.
Well one of the other neighbors asked if he could fence that field and run sheep in it. Who would argue with a deal like that. The deal is he has to run enough of them to keep the grass down or cut it. Every now and then we get a package of fresh lamb too. That field is the only fence on the property except the one around My wife's kitchen garden.
We are starting to get coyotes and wolves in this part of Delaware county. There are enough bears to bother the bee keepers but not enough to bother people who are smart enough to Racoon protect garbage. Bird feeders not near the house help too. A large part of the county is Catskill State Park and NYC water supply resivours. Papacton is over 30 miles long. Thus the wild life have a huge refuge.
I am sure someone will lose a child to these carnivours one of these days and the do gooders will blame the parents not the animals. Course they like to eat what the farmers grow and raise. But God forbid the farmers try to protect their animals. For years the State has had a program to reimburse farmers who lose animals due to preditors. You notice I say program. Notice I never mentioned paying off. So far there has been an excuse need to study it more. It was by domestic dogs and doesn't count. There are no cougars in this part of the state. The fact that some one took a picture and put it in the paper doesn't count. Somebody even hit and killed one with a car. New York still denys they exist.
Quite a story about mountain lions in Iowa in todays paper too. I'll find the link and post it.

I know I ranged far from your haying good deal. But I hope you can keep it up.

Bill
Last edited by beaconlight on Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:15 pm

This tractor will do all you need.
Lucky Donny!!