This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Replacing seal in hydraulic drive

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Replacing seal in hydraulic drive

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:58 am

I need to replace the seal on the hydraulic drive shaft from the transmission case. The break down shows it as the drive nut (Separate piece, I am assuming it is threaded on , right or left hand. Any help would be appreciated.
I have been doing some thinking, if facing the front of the engine, that spinning clockwise, the shaft in question would be spinning counter clock wise, since it is a driving shaft that would make the nut a right hand thread so it can tighten while it is driving the hydraulic pump., correct?

Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Replacing seal in hydraulic drive

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:04 am

Assuming you are talking about an H (or M), yes ti is a right hand thread, and the seal is behind it. Unscrewing them can be fun. The same seal needs to be replaced on My H they guys restored for me, but i have been unable to get it loose, so i just park it over a tray.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 am

Thanks
I am making a wrench so it will hopefully be easier.
Phil

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:37 pm

Our original pump had broken the handle return spring, and the broken end had gone through the pump gear. Even with a handle 18 inches long and a large hammer I finally gave up on loosening it.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:06 am

Well ,got it off with no trouble(right hand thread) I do have the floor plate/transmission cover off,which made it easier. I wedged a small piece of Aluminum against the front gear ,had a 1/2 wide steel rod tapped it and spun right off. Have all the seals and gaskets replaced in the front. Will get some pictures , Camera battery dead.
Spent most of the rest of the afternoon cleaning the inside of the transmission case,mineral spirits,brush, and cleaning all the oil galleries, small metal shavings removed with a small magnet. after I get the tractor finished I plan to put kerosene in the tranny, place a small strong magnet in near the rear plug , drive around a while and try to get the remainder of the shards out over time.
I will post a before and after .
To date we have the transmission finished up and ready for the reassembly of the front castings. I have the back breaking work done. Looks good and a great accomplishment with the limited lifting devices. Floor jack and two strong boys.

Phil

Hickup
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03258
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
1940 A
1950 C
1952? H
1940 H
3320 John Deere

Postby Hickup » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:39 pm

Where do you get your parts for our "other Farmalls"? I love TM tractor but I need parts for my C, H and A...

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Things like seals can be bought at local auto parts stores. Other parts can be purchased at local IH dealer.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:10 am

Once again you have to find a good partsman.They are getting real hard to find at the parts stores.Kevin good luck I know a few!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:30 am

KETCHAM wrote:Once again you have to find a good partsman.They are getting real hard to find at the parts stores.Kevin good luck I know a few!!
I am real lucky there, our local CIH dealer (Flieg Equipment) has a great parts guy. I call him the kid, since he is about half my age, or younger, but he really is good at finding what you need, even if he has to search aftermarket places. Since they are 100 mile round trip, I just call them and a day or two later it is on my doorstep.
http://www.fliegs.com/ Give them a call, they ship all over the country.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”