This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New (to me) Cub Cadet

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

New (to me) Cub Cadet

Postby ljw » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:37 pm

A couple of days ago I bought a Cub Cadet, model 1604, at an auction. I had not planned on buying another, as I'm riding mower poor already. But it just looked so good just sitting there. I paid $575.00 for it. I know that it has a B&S engine, which I guess is inferior to a Kohler. And I checked on the Cub Cadet website and found out that it was made by MTD, and is a garden tractor. What's the difference between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor? I may have paid too much but it is the prettiest riding mower I have ever owned. It has sealed beam headlights and actual taillights! Did I get taken advantage of? If I did I don't care!

ljw

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:44 pm

The drive train on a lawn tractor is lighter than that of a garden tractor. Lawn tractors are not meant to pull implements. If all one is going to do is mow grass or do some light snow removal a lawn tractor is fine. If you intend on doing some serious gardening and use implements such as a rear mounted tiller etc. you need a garden tractor.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:04 pm

Thanks Bigdog! I saw that it had a cast iron front axle. With it being Thanksgiving, I haven't checked it out too much. The oil is very clean and the hourmeter shows 1800+ hours. I will only use it for a lawnmower. I know that lots people badmouth B&S engines, but I've had pretty good luck with them. I would rather have a Kohler, but the PO must have taken really good care of this B&S engine.

ljw

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:02 pm

Assuming it's a twin cylinder, change the oil regularly, and always mow at full throttle. running it lower will cause it to run hotter and shorten it's life.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:32 pm

John,
Thanks for the info! I've never heard that about B&S engines. Does that just pertain to 2 cylinder engines? This mower has side panels covering the engine. Do these help cool the engine? And can the engines be replaced with another engine of the same HP engine with relative ease? A lot of questions for an old man, huh?

ljw

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:11 am

Running at full throttle has been in most Briggs manuals for the last several years. alos noticed it in a Kohler the other day. Don't have a Cadet, but do have a similiar White (also MTD with cast axle). The panels both hold down noise and duct the air for cooling. Regarding engine swap ?.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Cub Cadets / Kohler Engines

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:32 am

Just to throw in my paltry 2 cents worth...I would sell your late model MTD Cadet and take the money and buy an early model INTERNATIONAL Cub Cadet. Here's why...THEY LAST FOREVER (Just like anything International Harvester made).

For what you spent on your late model MTD Cadet (around $500.) you could buy an early model Cub Cadet...even an "Original" Cub Cadet and get the Kohler 7 h.p. or 10 or 12 h.p. Kohler engines that keep running long after most B & S engines are dead.

If I took my 1969 7 h.p. Kohler Model 73 Cub Cadet and parted it out right now...I'd get at least $1000.00, probably more! But I sure didn't pay that for it (only $375.00).

I'm a firm believer in International Harvester products...so buy a Cub Cadet that was made in the IH Lousiville, KY plant and you'll always make a good investment that you can ride...plow...till...mow...cultivate...and pull more than it's weight against any other garden tractor made today!
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:14 pm

You tell 'em Country, good to see your post. I am a firm believer it what you say :) . But I will admit some of the later Cub Cadet Corp tractors are good also, depending on the model, and whether it is a shaft drive (prefered) or a belt drive (belts are for holding up your britches). You need to be sure the model is suitable for your intended use, a they are not all equal. Some of the low end versions may have problems trying to mow hilly or large lawns.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:06 pm

Hey Country,

I bought this little beauty from a fellow in Martin, TN for $200.00 right before the Cub-arama last year. Brought it home, spent about $50.00 on the carb, and started it right up :!: :shock: I was so happy with it I took it to the 2nd Cubarama and my wife and daughter drove/rode it in the parade. Thanks to Paul, I was able to outfit it with an original seat. It will return to Fredericktown next year in a little better shape....motor, chassis, and deck work in store for it over the winter. Oh yeah, to re-inforce your point, this is a working machine.

"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:59 am

Thanks to all for your input. It's amazing how educated I've become on Cub Cadets in the past several days, reading your posts, and on the internet. It appears that not all Cub Cadets are created equal. I'll probably keep this little mower, but in the future be more aware of what I'm buying. :oops: For I, too, appreciate the quality and workmanship of machinery and tools of the good old days. Just look in my barn if one could sqeeze in there. Cub-Bud, I'll trade my tractor for your Cub Cadet outfit! :lol: By the way, how is your Farmall B coming along?

ljw

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:40 am

"Cub-Bud, I'll trade my tractor for your Cub Cadet outfit!"

My daughter Kelsie says "NO TRADE" :!: She enjoys her rides around the yard on "Cub Cadet" too much to see it go. I , too, enjoy using it to mow with.

The work on Miss B is coming along fine. I posted a link to a photo album of the progress on the "Other Tractors and Machinery" forum for all to look at. Work has pretty much stopped because of cold weather...nothing really left to do but cleaning, priming, and painting, which will get done next spring.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:56 am

Hey Bud...You got some deal for $200.00 :wink: !!! They sure look like NEW tires too 8) ! If they came with the Cub Cadet...You got a FREE tractor for the price of the rear tires alone :wink: ! GREAT LOOKIN' outfit...I WOULDN'T SWAP IT FOR LOVE, OR MONEY :D !
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:21 am

Thanks, Country. I can't wait to use it next spring and summer. It's a great little machine that, after I make all the necessary repairs to it, will outlast anything MTD is making today. :shock:

Greg Norman

Return to “Cub Cadet”