This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My Farm blog

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Pepper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38632
Tractors Owned: 1948 F-Cub
193 Moldboard Plow
144 Cultivator

My Farm blog

Postby Pepper » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:45 am

My blog is supposed to be about our new adventures in farming far the first time. Of late, it's been all about my tractor. But today I finally turned the corner and started in about the farm...more of a truck crop vegetable garden really.

www.peppersplants.com

Hope you like it.

Pepper...
1948 F-Cub "Pop's Tractor"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: My Farm blog

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:14 pm

Congratulations on finding the implements and the wife helping.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:53 am

I really enjoyed reading your “blog”!!!

Years ago as a learning experience I let two of my sons try the “truck farming” operation as you’re contemplating. I’m not going to tell you about the negative points; which are many, but, you stated; you were in the greenhouse and landscaping business so, in my opinion, you know what work is about.

After many years of doing the so called “organic farming” they have gone mainly to sweet corn crops. In our area we have cold enough winters that kill a lot of the insects that attack the vegetables in the early season, but mid to late summer it’s another story. After ten years of “trial and error” they have found a good sweet corn product that you don’t have to spot spray for worms. In our area of the country, a true organic farmer will have to do farming in a controlled environment. (Greenhouses)

I would suggest get into an organic site in the internet that will hopefully tell you what to really expect at harvest in your area. I have found in the best conditions (weather, insect ect. damage) to expect about a 30 % yield. Profit yield last year on five acres of sweet corn was $ 475.00. The best year for profit was $1325.00 for a growing season. If you grow tomatoes with the corn and market them correctly, (stand in front of house, farmers market, road side stands ect.) you can add 35 to 50 percent profit to the total. You have to understand you will put in hours much like your wood carving experience.

Other concerns my sons have experienced was the so called “green people” that say they want buy the organic produce until they see the first insect on the product you sell them.

In summery; my two younger sons got a good understanding what real life is about, how to manage money, how to take care of their equipment, how to deal with the public, how to live off the land and think God for their bounties.

I noticed in your pictures your sons riding with you on the tractor. You stated; “that you have memories of your Grandfather riding with you on that same tractor”. I too have the same memories with the tractor I grew up with. A word of advice I do have; enjoy the time you have with your sons now and all the memories that you are blessed with. In a few short years (about a blink of an eye) there will not be any room on that tractor seat for both of you.

The link below is a picture taken a few years ago of my two younger sons on the Cub I grew up with. Since then, most of my family has gone away to school, but I have been blessed with all the memories from the years gone by...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/ ... 0_0370.jpg

Please keep posting your adventures on your farming blog. May God bless you and your family with your new adventure.

Jack

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:47 am

I didn't read your entire article. Suggest contacting some of the rural life, gardening magazines, and see if you can not sell a written article or two with photographs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”