This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cows walking the cattle gap

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Nubbin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39367
Tractors Owned: Ford 4600, 1959 Cub,

cows walking the cattle gap

Postby Nubbin » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:49 pm

On my small farm I have 2 cattle gaps (sometime called a cattle guard) that are made of pipe and are as similar as any other cattle gap I have seen. The cows and calves are tip-toeing across it so it is basically useless. I have read somewhere that folks have painted the pipe or the concrete pad and solved this problem. Do any of you have any experience with this problem? I could use some hints or help.
Thanks...
Keith

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cows walking the cattle gap

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:17 pm

Keith,

I don't know about the painting, but I know that if the area under the pipes gets to full of dirt, sand, mud, etc. that cattle will begin to walk over them. I hope you solve your problem. Cattle being where they are not wanted is no fun.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Several around here claim that if you paint them bright yellow or safety yellow the cattle will shy away.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Nubbin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Nubbin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks for the replies.....
I spoke to a friend of mine last night and he told me about the yellow paint, I also have heard about sky blue paint.
Dirt build-up is minimal but I will clean it out, I have some weeds growing in the cattle gap from the dirt build-up so that might well be a big contributing factor.

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Redman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:38 am

:?:
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nubbin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Nubbin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks guys......
+1
Keith

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Ain't cows color blind?
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:56 am

Virginia Mike wrote:Ain't cows color blind?

Yep so are horses. I have had problems with horses getting spooked from white plastic shopping bags. My only guess is that it comes off in there vision as a bright probably glowing object. Perhaps like looking at a warm object through nite vision goggles. Maybe yellow and lt blue come off the same.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:52 pm

it has a lot to do with depth perception, if they can't judge what they are stepping into they probably won't step.it being deep enough that they can't tip toe through helps also. i want to put one out back so i don't have to fool with a gate. guess i'll start looking for some pipe. 8)
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:57 pm

+One of the things I have seen done in this area is a concrete vault with the drive part made of drill steel from well drill rigs. The steel is very strong and tapered. they are installed with large ends alternating, and the large end embedded firmly, and the small end in a oversize hole so it can move. It makes an awful noise when you drive over it, but it is really rare that a cow or calf will walk it. They don't like the movement.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:33 pm

All the ones around here are painted white. Seems to work fine.
Always try the easiest thing first.

vdeal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26542
Tractors Owned: Case 1290
BCS 720 Harvester

Postby vdeal » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Growing up on a farm we were always sure that cattle weren't entirely color blind. I copied the following from Wikipedia:
A common misconception about cattle (particularly bulls) is that they are enraged by the color red (something provocative is often said to be "like a red flag to a bull"). This is incorrect, as cattle are red-green color-blind. The myth arose from the use of red capes in the sport of bullfighting; in fact, two different capes are used. The capote is a large, flowing cape that is magenta and yellow. The more famous muleta is the smaller, red cape, used exclusively for the final, fatal segment of the fight. It is not the color of the cape that angers the bull, but rather the movement of the fabric that irritates the bull and incites it to charge.
Although cattle cannot distinguish red from green, they do have two kinds of color receptors in the cone cells in their retinas. Thus they are dichromatic, the same as most other mammals (including dogs, cats, horses and up to ten percent of male humans). They are able to distinguish some colors, particularly blue from yellow, in the same way as most other mammals.
"If America could be, once again, a nation of self-reliant farmers, craftsmen, hunters, ranchers, and artists, then the rich would have little power to dominate others. Neither to serve nor to rule:That was the American dream." -- Edward Abbey

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

Postby dirtyred » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:46 pm

i know a feller who is red green color blind ridin with him in town was scary. said he could only see the yellow of the traffic lites and yellow meant speed up!
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby WaMoo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:20 pm

This is an old thread, but I thought I would chime in... Cows, as stated above, aren't totally color blind. Just red-green, which a lot of humans are as well. But, cows have very poor depth perception. I've had trouble just bringing cows into the milking parlor when the morning sun casts a sharp shadow across the concrete. They just won't cross it! I'd usually have to gather a shovelful of wood shavings we use for bedding and sprinkle it on the concrete to "soften" the shadow line.

As stated above, if the pit has filled in underneath a cattle guard, and there is no contrast, cows won't have any reservations about crossing it. The first things cows will do when you put them in a new paddock is walk the fence line to find "a way out". The grass is always greener on the other side, and everybody has a "the cows got out" story. Back to contrast, some "cattle guards" out west here on the freeways and such are just painted, alternate stripes of black and white paint. I'd just make sure the cattle guard is cleaned out underneath and the pipes/angle iron/whatever contrasts with the background.

Cheers!
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”