This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Power Stroke Help

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Power Stroke Help

Postby Donny M » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:32 pm

I have a 99 Ford Power Stroke with 270K miles on it. In the mornings latley it starts but runs very rough for a time at idle. If I give it throttle it will die as if running out of fuel. If I let it idle for a period of time it will run fine. I'm thinking that maybe I have an air leak that leaks back during down times. But have looked at every fitting to no avail.

Can anyone help :?:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby (CUB HUT) » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:42 pm

Donny M
I would guess injectors
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:57 pm

Donny,

Replace the fuel and air filters and call me in the morning :!: :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:19 pm

Aren't there vacume hoses all over that thing? They get old and porous too.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:19 pm

Donny changing the filters wont hurt. But if it was a fuel filter oe delivery problem I would think it would show up under a load. It could very well be fuel draining back from a bad fitting or bad fuel pump. How long since the last oil change? The reason being that these injectors are oil actuated.
Poor oil pressure or delivery could cause a problem with injectionn pressures and atomization.
Also check what seems to be a waste gate on the turbo it should work freely as it shuts during coldengine conditions to warmup the engine faster.
Rondell

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:37 pm

rondellh,

You hit the nail squarely on the head :!: :!: I talked to a fella today at an injector and pump shop and he told me before I do anything change the oil. I'll admit I had about 8K on the last oil change. I usually change it at no more than 5K. Well changed it this evening and so far so good. I'll find out more in the morning when I've had most of the problems. If oil was the problem then I'll be a happy camper $46 for oil and a filter vs :?: :?: :?:

Thanks 8) 8)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:28 pm

rondellh,

Got up this morning and first thing went to my truck and started it up. You are the man. But you have to share credit with the fella at the pump and injector shop. This thing runs like is should. Thank You very much :!: :!: :!: :!: I just saved a bunch of$$$$$$$$$

Thanks again 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) way 8)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:42 pm

Cub Hut should get an attabiy too he first said injectors and Rondel told how to fix the injectors. Aren't we all glad for the cub forum. Enough knowledge to fix the world.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:27 pm

Thank You Cub Hut

Sorry for the omission :oops: :!: 8)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:31 pm

Donny, I might suggest you get rid of that junky ol' powerstroke frog and get a nice Dodge with a Cummins....... :D :D :D
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:49 pm

Bigdog,

Had one before, don't want another :!: :!:

At Cub Fest 2005 we can hitch them together and see who pulls who :lol: :lol:

Crew Cab 4x4 270+K miles and 22 MPG I ain't getting rid of it until the wheels fall off :!: :lol: :lol:

I've never had a problem with it until now and that was self induced :oops:

If Ford had an Allison tranny they would rule the world :!: :!: 8)

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:19 pm

Hey Bigdog,

Donny's achilles tendon/Waterloo is di-electric grease :shock: :!:

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Brush some on the tires so his "tractor don't get no traction" and pull him south :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:17 am

DONNY M

That's OK . didn't realize oil change would affect the injectors either.Was going on dirty or clogged tip or bad seal.
We all learn from this board. DAVE
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:08 am

Donny,
Glad things worked out for you. I used to change the oil on my old service trucks at 3k miles but I was putting some SEVERE!! use onn them too. And you dont want to think about replaceing those injectors. last time I had to replace one it was over $250@ $2k for a set :shock:
Needless to say i only replace what was needed.
You may be surprised to know that these HEUI injectors are built by Caterpillar. And some the same basic injectors through Cat go for over $400@
Rondell

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”