This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Massey Ferguson 35

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cub63
10+ Years
10+ Years

Massey Ferguson 35

Postby cub63 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:07 pm

I have moved to a bigger place and am looking to buy a larger tractor to do mowing and front end/ blade work. Have seen a newly rebuilt early 60's MF 35 with front-end loader and brush hog for $3500. Was wondering what to look for and what to expect from a 40 year old Massey Ferguson like this. I have always trusted the advice of this community and would apreciate any input.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:08 pm

My reference shows the Ferguson 35 made from '50 to '60 and the Massey-Ferguson 35 built from '60 to '64.

I think these are a pretty good tractor. There are several different engines that might be in them. As far as I know, a Diesel would be a Perkins. I think gas engines for US sales were Continental while European tractors would have a Standard. Parts for any of these engines (or the rest of the tractor) should be available but will probably not be as easy to get as Cub parts.

If the block of a Continental engine cracks, it will usually be between the cylinders where it is hard to spot. I would suggest that before buying it, you run it enough to get the engine up to temperature and check in the radiator for any evidence of leakage (like bubbles). I don't consider this weakness as a stopper for this model tractor, just something you should try to guard yourself from. Like I said, they are pretty good tractors.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:49 pm

Stay away from a 4 cylinder diesel in a 35, it's 23C standard engine, and parts a rarer than hens teeth! Plus they were nasty about cold starts. :wink:
A perkins diesel or continental gas were both good engines, but both could be prone to block cracks as Jim mentioned.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

cub63
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub63 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:30 pm

Thanks Jim and Parts Man for the advice. I've been investigating and it looks like parts might be expensive. MF 35 May not be suitable for heavy front-end loader work. I'm now leaning towards Ford 601, 621 for just mowing 10 acre clearing and hire out any loader work to neighbor kid w/ big John Deere.

David C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47141
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub, 1970 135 Massey Ferguson, 1970 175 Massey Ferguson, 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70. 1977 Farmall 140 (Granpa's)

Postby David C » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:41 am

I cant comment too much about the 35 massey, but my family has owned a massey 135 since new in 1970... It has almost 4600 hrs. and it has a perkins diesel engine. This "little" tractor has a huge part in our daily farm chores... It has never let us down!
About the only thing, like previous mentioned is below 20 F it needs a block heater plugged in to start
My neighbor has the same tractor in the gas continental version. the power difference is very noticalble. As to low RPM pulling power (torque).

My 2 cents worth
David C.
I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”