Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:51 pm
thats my fear too cowboy...i think miss farmall is right and just keep soaking it with penetrating oil...if it takes 6 months to soak thru then let it take 6 months
Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:59 pm
Another silly idea but have you tried driving the pin out the other direction? I was having problems installing the pin on ours just a couple of days ago and discovered that the end of the pin had been mushroomed just a little bit from being beaten in sometime before. It wasn't squished very much but it doesn't take much to keep it from going through the clamps. You'd think a hardened pin wouldn't mushroom like that. I ground off the high point and it went in smooth. Just another thought.
Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:37 pm
Try an air hammer/air chisel with a punch style bit and rattle it, sometimes this works where brute force does not. Also drill out the grease cavity in the pin to clean out the old grease and crap. Then fill it with some penetrating oil (I use Cyclo Breakaway) use some grease to keep the oil in there. Install the grease fitting and use a good hand grease gunand put all the pressure you can on it. Next take a propane torch(oxy/fuel is too hot) and heat things up the grease and oil will expand and hopefully clear out the hole. Also lifting up the tractor to take the load off the pin will help the grease to flow out.This is one of my best tricks for stubborn grease fittings.
Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:49 pm
Yes, I really meant to dig up a 3 year old thread. File this under what you did to your cub today.
When I repacked the front wheel bearings on the loboy a while back, I got a squeeaaakk when I jacked up one side so I just knew I needed pivot bushings. This week with the 65 degree weather looked like a perfect opportunity to get it fixed.
So after researching here and at Mcmaster, I was pretty sure I knew what I needed. Jacked her up and disassembled the tie rods, unbolted the clamp bolts and found out real fast that the pin was seized to the axle tube.
BFH, Drift, didn't pee a drop. (glad I didn't break an ear) So I broke out the torch. Heat, grease, heat, grease, lots of heat and finally I had the grease boiling out of the bushings and a cloud of rust dust. Greased her up good, worked it a bunch and back together. About 2 hours of heating and greasing but it finally gave in.
Morale - if you haven't greased your front pivot, you might put that on the to-do list.
Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:47 pm
Bear, if you bust yours, I"ve got a good one you can have for what I have in it...
Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 pm
sgtbull wrote:Bear, if you bust yours, I"ve got a good one you can have for what I have in it...
Kelly, this is a 4 year old post. Bear probably has it fixed by now.
Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:29 pm
Old post but still worth reminding people to grease that fitting.Almost every cub i've owned has that fitting broken off for some reason but they arent that hard to remove.It took hours of heat and bfh to get it loose so greasing is by far the way to go. Thanks for the offer Sarge.
Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:34 pm
And how did you come by 3 nearly-sequential tractors? That's even better than my 3 Oldsmobiles that are all one of a kind.
Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:33 pm
Holy COW!.... Yes, I'm a bit slow, but my intentions were good! Guess I should have looked a bit closer at the first entry........
Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:08 pm
Old post or not information is still good.
I could of used it a couple days be for it was brought back to the top. I wanted to remove my trashed bolster and thought I could tap out the pin from the front side. You have to remove the axle to access the bolts for the part that holds the axle and stearing gear to the bolster. It just wasnt going to happen.
Tried from the back side of the pin but just could not get good access to it with a sledge and an impact socket. Beat on socket slightly smaller diameter than pin. Yes I did remove bolt completely. Had to remove bolster with front axle on it to get access to drive pin out backwards direction.
I measured pin and front was .05 in larger than back end of pin. Not much but enough to give me a hard time. I also had to use two flat head screw drivers to persuade the clamp areas to spread a little.
Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:37 pm
4" grinder with a thin cut off blade. Cut it where the thrush washers are. Used pin is easily found, and it is much easier to work on, on the bench
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.