This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Scam Artist

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Scam Artist

Postby Merlin » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:13 am

I had an item on e-bay and at the last minute some guy punched the buy now button and wants to send me a large cashiers check and wants me to send him the balance. This is one letter I got from him.

helloo
are you going to wire the excess funds immediately
you recieve the check?because a cashiers check is
honour and cashable same day it is
received.

So if you agree to this terms of payment then forward
ur contact address where you want my client send the
check. and and you can talk to me directly.

Powered by Outblaze

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:28 am

Merlin:

ScamArtist101 :!:

Be careful, this guy is probably a scammer. I would ignore him, or better yet notify ebay about this guy.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:29 am

Merlin that scam has been around for quite awhile similar to that nigerian scam stuff that was happening. I read an eBay newsgroup often and your complaint has been a topic of discussion quite often. You should report it to eBay or just ignore it. The sad thing is that you will be stuck with listing fees on your unsold item.
Then came Bronson

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:35 am

The first thing I did was report it to e-bay. If I don't get it straightened out I'll have to pay the percentage of selling fee. I'm sure not going to answer him.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:38 am

Merlin. Make sure when you sell something on E-Bay, when you accept checks, you stipulate "ALL CHECKS MUST CLEAR THE ISSUING BANK PRIOR TO YOUR SHIPMENT". Not your bank, but the bank that issued the check. This way they would tell you if it's a bogus check.

I guess this guy is trying a last ditch effort to scam due to the new banking rules going into effect October 28th. "Check Clearing for the 21st Century Act" (or "Check 21"). That's when federal legislation will allow banks to transmit electronic images instead of transporting hard copies accross the country. So, your checks will clear almost instantly. Not sure how the overseas banks tie into this, but in any case, things will be much quicker. This will probably cause more checks to bounce than in the past with people writing checks before the money gets in their account.
Ron

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:02 am

Ron L wrote:the new banking rules going into effect October 28th. "Check Clearing for the 21st Century Act" (or "Check 21"). That's when federal legislation will allow banks to transmit electronic images instead of transporting hard copies accross the country.

I assume this will be the end of getting my checks back from the bank too. For some reason my bank hasn't notified me of a change. Maybe they don't want customers stirred up until after the shredders are running?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:24 pm

Many of the banks in our area have already quit sending back the original checks. All you get is a sheet with small copies of several checks on each sheet.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:14 pm

John,
Consider yourself lucky my credit union doesn't even send copies anymore just a satement with check numbers.
Rondell

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:44 am

Nowadays, I pay just about all of my bills electronically, via the internet. I write very few checks, using a debit card whenever possible. The checks that I write are scanned by my bank and can be viewed online. The check front and back can be printed, if needed. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I feel comfortable doing this.

ljw

Return to “Off Topic”