This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New rear rims...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:17 pm

Mr. GW,

That is great advice :!: :!:

I've been practicing to be the "Old Bull" for sometime now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone said "To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid" I'm getting smarter but not smart :lol: :lol: 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:47 pm

That's A Good one George. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Rims

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:46 am

Got them new rims yesterday - hope to get time to stomp on some new tires today!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Got 'em mounted - ALMOST

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:51 pm

Well, I went out this morning and got the turf tires mounted on the new rims just fine. A little bit of dish detergent and they popped right onto the rims with just a little bit of persuasion.

Now Jay is jacked up next to the barn and the left rear tire is off him. MAN ARE THOSE WET TIRES HEAVY COMPARED TO DRY ONES! :shock:

Problem is, the old bolts don't fit the new saddles! On my old rims, the square head of the bolt goes right inside the saddle and sticks out the other side, left- or right-hand depending on the offset you want.

On the new rims, the saddles are about as tall as the old, but much thinner, and they don't have a plate in the center, just four little "pimples" sticking out inside the saddle. I'm not sure if I need much longer bolts overall, or if I need slightly longer bolts with a very small square head that will still fit inside these pinched saddles?

Any help?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Bolts

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:59 am

Talked to Ed Miller over at Miller tire this morning - he says the new rims are totally different than the originals, and that they require a 3" carriage bolt instead of the older square-head bolt. I guess someone should have told me during the ordering process. Oh well...

Off to Home Depot to find 3" x 1/2" carriage bolts!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Whoa!

Postby allenlook » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:19 pm

Got those nice new turf tires on Jay, and he looks pretty good with those new tires and rims on his butt end.

But I gotta say, I've paid one HELL of a penalty in traction. Foremost is probably the weight issue, having switched to dry tires from wet, and secondmost is the tread difference.

On the back side of my property there's some gentle slopes and one pretty good one that was really no problem going down with the ag tires on, (not a comfortable trip up the hill so I only did it once.)

Now that I've slipped and slid down the gentle part of the slope, (tires locked up and tore out the grass with even gentle braking) there's NO WAY I'm going to even attempt going down the other side of the lawn - last thing I need to do is end up side-slipping-flipping or pitching into the crick!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:09 pm

It's mostly the weight. Believe me, with my 280lb butt on the seat, turf tires will walk up, down, and across just about any slope you'd dare run the tractor on :) My '67's tires aren't loaded, and there is no weight on the back other than me.

Is there any iron on the rear wheels? That might be a consideration.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Iron

Postby allenlook » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:48 pm

Nope, lookin' for some now.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:52 pm

Allen:

Once you get some weights on the rear, you will notice a big difference. Ellie has the weights, Granny doesn't at the moment. Big difference in traction. Very noticeable on inclines and when pulling implements.

Sure glad you didn't lose it and get hurt or wet :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”