This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bolster Update

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Bolster Update

Postby Eugene » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:40 pm

Finally got the bolster reinstalled in the Cub. The biggest problem was lining up the front axle, holding it in place by myself, while driving in the pin.

Beer count. Two 6-packs. Big Dog, I don't know if the beer count (time estimate) included naps.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:57 pm

Is that nip count time or 16 ounce time?
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Bolster Update

Postby johnbron » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:54 pm

Eugene wrote:The biggest problem was lining up the front axle, holding it in place by myself, while driving in the pin.

I just put My axle on a week ago and it was pretty easy. My Cub front-end was up high enough that I put the axle tube on My knees while sitting in a chair and raised My knees up while pushing the pin in with My free hands.
Then came Bronson

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Front axle

Postby allenlook » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:57 pm

I recall spending a bit of time blocking mine to the right height so that I didn't have to hold it in place and drive the pin at the same time. After all the time I'd spent banging on the steering knuckles trying to get them apart, I was pretty much banged out!

I imagine that holding it up there and trying to bang the pin home at the same time was a bit of a trial. Congratulations for getting it back together!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Bolster Update

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:12 am

Actually I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how I was going to get the axle back in place by myself. I usually use my son, a defensive tackle on an Iowa State (IIA) championship football team several years back for some of the light work. He wasn't available. It took me a while a couple of tries. Finally I positioned the axle and slid a long punch through the retainers. I then put a 2x4 in front and behind each wheel. Lowered the tractor to the correct height then moved and reblocked one wheel at a time until everything lined up.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Empty...

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:10 am

Aha. Now I see why it was such a task! I put my front axle back on "empty", with no wheels or steering knuckles installed, just the axle itself and the drop tubes. I was easier for me to handle working alone.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:21 am

Leave it to an old geezer to figure a way to do it standing up! :lol: :lol: :lol: A shop crane is a handy thing. The rolling stands are handy too. The axle is from John *.?-!.* cub owner's toasted Cub, and the tractor is "Bud".

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Allen

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:44 am

Allen: If I can't figure out a difficult method of doing things they ain't worth doing. It just never occured to me to remove the drop tubes with spindles, rims, tires and WHEEL WEIGHTS. Remove one pin on each side of the axle and slide out the drop tubes. Na - that would have been to easy. Besides that I wanted to score high in the beer count.

I had just finished installing the axle, went to the house for lunch. Was sitting in the easy chair having a cold beverage, getting ready for the required nap, when I started thinking about Big Dog's beer count estimate.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall Cub”