This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tranny 101 for a Dummy!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Tranny 101 for a Dummy!

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:15 am

K guys

Class is starting and this dummy needs help :!: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Had the fork (part #22) welded and it is now ready for insertion. My problem is, I haven't got a clue how to put this back together :!: :oops: :oops: :roll: I know that the retainer screw has to align with the last detent which would be the fourth one. I am assuming that the first detent is reverse, 2nd is neutral and 3rd is first, correct?

Also, now I know why I did not have a problem with the poppet ball.... ain't there and neither is the spring :!: :oops: :roll: :shock: :? P/O musta lost em?? Question, how does the rod go in? Insert spring, then poppet and then rod whilst pushing down on the poppet ball? How do I tell how to line it all up and whilst looking down on the gears, holding the poppet ball in, sliding the rod and fork into position - ALL WITH ONE HAND :roll: :? :shock: mind you cause me meat hooks are a little large getting two in there at once :roll:

Got new gasket, new poppet and spring this afternoon. Would like to get Granny shifting again.... any and all help would be appreciated...

I am learning - slowly, but I am learning :!:

Thanks guys.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:01 pm

Rudi, the job will go much easier if you can find an extra set of small hands. Perhaps a chance to get Em involved????
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:16 pm

Rudi

the three detents in one end of the shaft are reverse/neutral/1st, or second/ neutral/third, depending on which shaft you have in your hand. those three detents are to mate with the poppet ball on each side of the trans. the other end of the shaft has the detent for the shifter fork #22. i don't see how you could run a trans without the poppets, as they keep the unused shifter fork in neutral and help to hold the transmission in whatever gear is selected.

putting it together is fairly straightforward. compress the spring and ball with a drift punch so that you can slide the shaft in. one goes in from the front, and one from the rear, as i recall. if you don't remove the plug.

while you are there, look to be sure the oil lube hole is open at the rear of the trans for the top rear bearing.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:21 pm

BD:

Nice try, she already said NO :!: :!: :!: :shock: :? :roll: :oops: :roll:

Art:

K, will try to do that. I know that the poppet balls should be there, but for the life of me I can't find them in the bores...... will keep looking, but just in case, my dealer had a ball and spring, so I gots me 1 each. The udder ones is on order!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:38 pm

Rudi, make sure the poppet ball didn't fall into the tranny case? Get one of those magnets that looks like a pen and slide it into the place where the shifter rail slides forward into the tranny case? Follow me? My ball would always go into there when I was trying to get the ball/shifter rail back in? I was able to push the ball down with a screwdriver and slide the rail in far enough to hold the ball in place and then slide the screwdriver in. I will see if I can get some pics email to you?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:06 pm

Andy:

Yup, the poppet keeps goin in there. I have one of the Snap-On points screwdrivers with a magnetic end. Helps get it out. Didn't find the original, but I think I may have an idea where that one is.. :roll:

Granny's tranny has been real noisy since she came home to roost here, and I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I think I did tonight though. The original poppet did not fly out (had me finger over the bore) when I took the rod out. As I sort of alluded to before, it seems to be missing.

Got cold tonight - about 33 degrees F right now, going down below freezing (yeah already! and the lettuce just got big enough to harvest :roll: :evil: ) so we rolled her into the shop. Lots of noise on the bottom end of the gears. Got me a feeling the poppet ball is under one of the gears and is causing the grinding. If so, and if I cannot get it out, Granny is going to get tarped up and she will have to wait until spring.

Got way too many things to do to start splitting her this fall. Still gotta split Ellie and rotate the TOB so I can grease it..... P/O installed it upside down.....

oh, the pics are great :!: By any chance do you have one that shows how the forks are supposed to look when they are installed correctly???? I am still a newbie here :roll: :? The fork that you have still installed which I think is 1st and reverse? correct? is the one that I am trying to install now. The other fork is still in it's original place.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:42 pm

Rudi,

As you proceed with Granny's tranny repairs, you need to write a narrative and post it on your server!

LC

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:45 pm

Carl:

Ya got me :!: :roll: :lol:

I should have thought of that before I had the fork welded. Hmmmmffph :!: Maybe I still can.. although it will not be as good as your Carb articles.

Speaking of which, did you get those things done over the summer???? by any chance????

Looking forward to the governor rebuild article :!:

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Poppet Ball

Postby allenlook » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:23 pm

As you may recall, I had a poppet ball that had migrated to the drain plug in the rear drive unit.

If all else fails, and your tranny is somewhat dry, you might want to try putting the magnet into the drain hole of the rear drive unit and carefully using compressed air to blow it around/back toward the magnet.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:12 pm

Allen:

Granny's tranny is much like Granny's Trunk! Full of dirt and all kinds of surprises along with a fair amount of water. Put compressed air in there and there will be a gawdawful mess, most likely all over me :shock: :roll: :!: :lol:

Not sure how I am going to figure it out. She is in the shop tonight, and in the morning I am going to drain the tranny again. I have already run kero through 3 or 4 times to loosen the gunk up. I think I might be able to get it reasonably clean and then with a mirror and light have a boo and see what can be seen.

Will keep apprised. Will also take pics and stuff for that Tech Article on Granny's Tranny :!: :idea:

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:06 pm

Rudi,

Jack up the left side of the tractor. The ball should roll to the right side where you can see it with the shifter rail removed. Then use that magnet. Worked great for me and don't ask how I know. :roll: :roll: I'll see about those photos, returned the camera to the FIL tonight!? I have to get one of those digitals!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Too wide

Postby allenlook » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:45 am

Is anyone else having to scroll this topic way to the right to be able to read it?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Re: Too wide

Postby Ron L » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:52 am

allenlook wrote:Is anyone else having to scroll this topic way to the right to be able to read it?

YES. It's due to Rudi's first post of 1275 pixel width. I believe an 800 pixel width will fit nicely.............
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:28 am

Rudi, it requires a little dexterity and a varied vocabulary, but you can rotate the bearing with out splitting the cub. disconnect the clutch rod and remove the pivot shaft the hanger pivots on. This will give a little play to allow you to remove the bolt that holds the yoke together. Come to think of it, splitting the tractor may be easier.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:40 am

Hey Rudi,

My grease gun has a flexible extension. Don't know if you could reach the top of the TOB to grease it or not. ???

What about drilling out and tapping the seep hole on the bottom of the TOB for a second zerk fitting. ??? Working through the hand hole is still the challenge. I know, been adjusting the clutch! :cry:

John's right, splitting the tractor would probably be easier my freind!
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Return to “Farmall Cub”