This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

127 Cub Cadet High-Crop Project

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

127 Cub Cadet High-Crop Project

Postby JimT » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:55 pm

Well I had a little play time today. I did a trial fit for the project today. I made a temporary spacer out of wood for the trial fit until the metal one I bought arrives. The finals actually fits pretty good. Had to grind down the two upper bolt holes on the left side to make them thinner to fit between the frame rails. This made it the same thickness as the original axle housing. The right side fit in without doing any modifications. I will have to do some work to the front axle. I think I might make a new one and make it a little wider as well as taller. By fitting the finals on I found out I can use up to a 31" tall tire without doing any fender modifications.

Here are some photos of the trial fit.

I think it is going to be a bit unusual. :roll:
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 127 Cub Cadet High-Crop Project

Postby Paul B » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:28 pm

Thats going to be a rather slow mover with the double gear reduction - a 66 tooth reduction gear between the output shaft of the hydro (I don't know how may teeth are on the shaft) and the the pinion shaft that drives the ring gear, and then the reduction of the Cub finals, even with 31" tires........... but it will look good. :)

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:47 pm

I thought about that. I don't think it will be much on speed, but I should have pulling power if it had enough weight.

Barnyard look out. :-:-):
JimT

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:53 pm

Funny, I was just composing almost the same responce. I think there are 12 or 13 teeth on the "top" gear, gives you about 6 to 1 reduction. If you check Midwest Super Cub they have different ratios for the upper and lower reduction gears, but Im not sure how far they go. Nice looking machine. Im still going to build a 2 seater "Cubster". Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:57 pm

Putting a lift on your lawnmower ? Now that's a first ! Jeff Foxworthy would be proud :lol: :lol: Just kidding Jim ! I think it's cool ! Are you planning to pull with it or have clearance in the garden? Neato :big afro:
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:11 pm

spiveyman wrote:Putting a lift on your lawnmower ? Now that's a first ! Jeff Foxworthy would be proud :lol: :lol: Just kidding Jim ! I think it's cool ! Are you planning to pull with it or have clearance in the garden? Neato :big afro:

It's just going to be a play toy. Just something different to do. Probably make a good garden tilling machine though. :wink:
JimT

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:13 pm

junkman1946 wrote:Funny, I was just composing almost the same responce. Im still going to build a 2 seater "Cubster". Frank

Sounds cool. Post some pics when you get started.
JimT

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Jim,

Way cool!!!! Keep us posted.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:43 pm

junkman1946,

Frank I don't think MWSC has the different reduction gears for a hydro, but I think you are right about the number of teeth on the shaft, I believe it is close to the same number thats on the gear drive input shaft.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:14 am

You will win a lot of slow races with that. If I was in charge of the slow race it would be disqualified for not being to be driven to the starting line at a reasonable speed. It dose look good.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:20 pm

Midwest cub offers some overdrive reduction gear ratios too. That will increase your speed or you can remove the reduction housing all together and just go with the finals?

Interesting it all bolts right in?

I was thinking of a 2"x3"x1/4" wall tubing for a new lowered front axle so it will sit level. You will need a higher block in the center on the hinge to level it better. A piece of 2"x4" tubing welded to the 2"x3" should be close but it depends on what tires you will have on the rear.

The 650-8 3 rib or the 850-8 5 rib tires would be awesome on the front?

How about using the fcub axle extention? Offset it like the fcub with cultivision? then use the int154 front axle assembly and offset that too. Then i would stretch the frame a little longer so it looks better.(wheelbase)
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:36 pm

BigBill wrote:Midwest cub offers some overdrive reduction gear ratios too. That will increase your speed or you can remove the reduction housing all together and just go with the finals?

Interesting it all bolts right in?

I was thinking of a 2"x3"x1/4" wall tubing for a new lowered front axle so it will sit level. You will need a higher block in the center on the hinge to level it better. A piece of 2"x4" tubing welded to the 2"x3" should be close but it depends on what tires you will have on the rear.

The 650-8 3 rib or the 850-8 5 rib tires would be awesome on the front?

How about using the fcub axle extention? Offset it like the fcub with cultivision? then use the int154 front axle assembly and offset that too. Then i would stretch the frame a little longer so it looks better.(wheelbase)

I am currently working with a hydrostat drive, a 127 cadet. I am putting it back together now to see what kind of speed it will have with the 23" tires on it. I am thinking of using 31" tires though. If the speed is an issue I may have to go with a standard shift cadet and buy a set of the overdrive reduction gears. I guess trial and error at this point.
JimT

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:20 pm

Well I put it together enough to take it on it's maiden voyage. I think this project will not be finished. I think it went about 1 mph for it's trial run. Too much reduction. I think I will put it back to the way it was and maybe just repaint it.

Here is what it looked like for its trial run.

IMG_0004.JPG

This would probably do go for tilling a garden.

I think I will have to look for a standard drive cadet and go with the overdrive gears for the gear reduction in the front. It doesn't look like the hydrostat is going to make a good choice. O'well, I only paid $100 for this cadet and it had wheel weights on it. So I guess I bought wheel weights and got the cadet for free. :lol:
JimT

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:40 pm

I would try to remove the reduction on the trans first, don't give up, i think its a great idea.

I always wanted a tractor inbetween the size of a cub and cub cadet to play with but yet something that can do work too. I think your on to something keep going at it!!!!

The ground speed is also controlled by the tire diameter too. Smaller tire slower ground speed but more torque, larger tire more ground speed less torque. Somewhere the tire diameter when too large a diameter is used we lose all together. I been there with 4x4 trucks when the rear ratios needed to be lowered with monster tires. Were just working backwards starting out with gobs of power first and thats a good thing. If it works out with the power we need to load the tires and add wheel weights for traction. We will probably need front end weight too.

I just purchased a 108 for some more parts, this one is parts and not a runner.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:53 pm

I'm by no means an expert on these cadets. This is my first one, but I don't see how the front reduction gear could be removed and the hydrostat still work. I haven't seen any overdrive reduction gears for the hydrostats.

I have check and for the standard shift tranny you can get 46% overdrive reductions gears and I think that would be the easier way to go. It states that a cub cadet will go 31 mph with this gearing. I think that would be about right for this type of project by the time you take in account the reduction on the cub final drives.
JimT

Return to “Cub Cadet”