This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New garden for next year.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

New garden for next year.

Postby Jackman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:56 am

Who has a small Cub size garden, and what are the demensions? Planning for next years garden I have only one semi good area that I can plow a 25 X 35 garden

but it has a slight slope and has some shade , not real ideal for gardening but that's what I have to work with. Do you think 25x35 is too small for a cub garden? I am just wanting to try out the dirt plow and grow some tomatoes and maybe a couple rows of corn, lettuce and carrots......

jack

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: New garden for next year.

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:49 am

Jack,

Go for it! Not to large to be discouraging and large enough to enjoy on the dinner table.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:52 am

That is pretty tight. My garden space is 20x50. (soaker hoses at Home Depot are 50'). It is only workable because I have room past each end to turn the tractor around. If you are restricted to having to turn inside the garden space, you don't have room enough. If you have headland room at one end and mounted equipment, you can work it one direction and back up for each pass. Even that may be impossibly difficult for cultivating after the plants are up.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:00 am

Jim Becker wrote:That is pretty tight. My garden space is 20x50. (soaker hoses at Home Depot are 50'). It is only workable because I have room past each end to turn the tractor around. If you are restricted to having to turn inside the garden space, you don't have room enough. If you have headland room at one end and mounted equipment, you can work it one direction and back up for each pass. Even that may be impossibly difficult for cultivating after the plants are up.

Jack,

Jim makes some good points. I just never considered the headlands. :oops:

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:18 am

25 x 35 is the size for a small tiller, not workign with a cub.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:40 am

I'm am currently working up part of a garden plot of approximately the same size. I do have plenty of room to turn around at each end of the plot. I finished plowing for the first time about a week ago. I disk a couple days ago. Today I sowed winter rye and harrowed.

Because of the small size of the garden I plant in blocks rather than full rows. I have to cultivate with a garden hoe.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:28 pm

As long as you have turn around space on ends this will work. Sounds like you have a good plan thought out. Two of our gardens here at New Acres Gardens is 16' x 90' but have turn around room on all four sides if needed. Our biggest garden is over one acre in size. Cub is pretty flexible in tight spaces, just need mounted/3-point/fast hitch, ect. equipment. Your size would be short fun, but fun comes in all sizes. Do It!! LOL!!! thanks;sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”