This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pressing Situation

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Pressing Situation

Postby Harold R » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:32 pm

I have a pressing situation on my hands here. LOL :lol: The Super C Engine is out and on the stand......it has been soaking in Kroil for over a week, and I have yet to get the pistons to budge. Time to step it up! I took a rod cap off, and with a wood block, tried to drive the piston out of the top of the engine. I finally got movement, but it was sleeve and all. I wanted to try and salvage the rods and piston, so I took it to a friends house and we put it his press. That where it still sets. We put tons of pressure on it and it wouldn't budge. We weren't sure which way to push basically. My friend thought there may be a "choke" to the sleeve, so we pushed from bottom to top. We wedged the connecting rod and pushed on it. Not sure if it was the best thing to do or not, but we're letting it set overnight with the pressure and lots of kroil in the sleeve. I know, I probably should just scrap the pistons, sleeves rods, drive them all out and start fresh. Just don't know how available connecting rods are. On a good note....the crank looks good and the rod bearings read .002. Any advice is welcome. :?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Pressing Situation

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:46 pm

Let it soak for a while. Perhaps a month or two. If you can press out the sleeves with the pistons - do so.

Soak some more. Then heat, good and hot, the piston and sleeve together. Let cool then try to seperate the piston from the sleeve.

Good luck. I had one stuck engine that I worked on for 6 months and never did get the pistons out of.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:23 pm

Harold, have you checked on the price of complete kit, versus pistons and tings? You may be spending a lot of time for a little gain. Once sleeve are out, you can, if need be, break them apart to get to piston pins and remove the rods. They are pretty thick however. In my area the local machine shop has the best price on overhaul parts, including rods.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

I am thinking along the same line as John stated. Don't ruin the connecting rods trying to save the sleeves or pistons. If the pistons won't break free from the sleeves, smash them off to get the rods out.

The sleeves were straight bored clear through. The only impediment to pushing the pistons out should be the wear ridge at the top of the sleeve.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:21 am

The local volunteer fire company (yes there still at least 3 in New Your City) found their first truck in a junk yard. It took them almost 2 years to free the stuck engine, just patience and lots of careful force. They pushed both ways from time to time. I think they used steel slugs machined to fit in the bore and the center recessed so all the force was on the outer rim so as not to collapse the piston. From the rod end they used a some what similar slug with a U cut into it to fit around the rod. They eventuall got motion and success. The truck is used in parades.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:42 am

I helped push out pistons on a Super av, it sat in the press for a month. every day sprayed PB blaster on the cylinders. Each day put another few pounds of pressure on the piston. Pushed them out the bottom. took awhile, but got them outit took about a week per cylinder. slow steady pressure won the race

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:20 am

another thing the old timers used to do was fill the top of the cylinder above the piston with steel wool and light it. the heat would expand the rings, and sleeve, making it easier for the penetrating oil to soak in.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

dracer398
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48706

Postby dracer398 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:07 pm

You could take a 4" grinder with a cut-off wheel and split the sleeve. The rods are the only thing I would save if they are good. That is what I have to do on my F-12.

Brian
1951 Farmall Cub, 1979 International 184 with a 1050A Loader (Thanks JP Tractor salvage), 1945 Farmall H, 1934 & 1935 F-12's

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:32 pm

I had major sucess today. Got all four pistons and rods out. Three still in the sleeve, one decided to give in and come out normally. I believe I will take the suggestion and use the angle grinder to split the sleeves. The one piston that came out looked fairly well, but not sure I can salvage the others. I'm just going to get the kit as others suggested. On a good note, the crank turned by hand once the last piston was out. Rod bearings were .002 over, so I'm hoping .010 will clean everthing up. May have some pictures later tomorrow. Thanks for the pointers......I'm sure I'll need some more.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:00 am

First try heating the sleeves and pistons, something along the line of John's suggestion. A charcoal fire in the BBQ grill. If it doesn't work, you are not out much.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”