This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Drive belt problems

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jack B.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Drive belt problems

Postby Jack B. » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:15 am

I have a fairly new Cub Cadet model LT 1018 - Series 1000. It keeps ruining drive belts (part number - #754-0461). Is there anything that can be done to help this? It always comes off the movable flat idler pulley and gets caught above it. :?:
Jack Boggan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:18 pm

Jack, a couple of things come to mind. First of all, if the pulley alignment looks good, then check the belt tension. It may be too loose which will give a greater tendancy to jump off the pulley. Secondly, after watching a neighbors kid mow with their cadet, I observed that when he backs up and the mower drive dis-engages, he does not idle the tractor down before re-engaging the belt drive. You can hear the belts squeal as they are jolted back into service. We are talking probably 30 - 40 times each mowing. No belt is going to hold up to that abuse and once the cords stretch, the belt will not track. If you have teen-agers operating the mower or if you re-engage the deck at high idle, this is a definite possibility.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jack B.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack B. » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:52 pm

The thing I can't understand, is the lawn tractor has a hydrostatic transaxle and the drive belt stays under constant tension. All the drive and transaxle v-pulleys and the idler pulleys seem to be properly aligned. A local Cub Cadet dealer says that there is a kit for fixing the problem however he wanted $65.00 to install it. Does anyone have any knowledge of this kit, or know any web site where I might could find out some information.
Jack Boggan

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:03 pm

I apologize Jack. I mis-understood you. I thought you were talking about the mower drive belt.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:15 pm

might try http://www.ihcubcatet.com
I suspect it is just a guide or loop that fits on the pulley or close to it to keep the belt from jumping off. The belt does go slack when you step on the clutch/brake pedal doesn't it?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Scott C
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scott C » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:42 pm

Jack,
ihcubcadet.com will not answer your question as it is an MTD built machine.
Try here: http://ihregistry.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
and click on the "MTD/CCC Built Cub Cadet Forum" link and post your question there. There are a lot of good folks there.

Return to “Cub Cadet”