This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Royal Purple Synthetic Oil -- Anyone ever use this stuff?

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Royal Purple Synthetic Oil -- Anyone ever use this stuff?

Postby Dennis » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:23 pm

I'm not one to normally get excited about things like oil, but just before Cubarama, I had the local mechanic shop change the oil in my Jeep Liberty. I asked what type of oil they used, and it was Pennzoil or this synthetic called Royal Purple. I was using a mix oil/syn, so I said go ahead and use the purple stuff since you can go so long without a change, and only a filter change/top off after 6,000 miles. Well, I'm always a skeptic, but on the trip to Cubarama I kept checking my avg. miles per gallon on the on board computer and it consistently ran more than one extra mile per gallon for the entire trip (20.2mpg vs. my normal 18.9 at highway speeds).

I saw one post from a fellow on here that used Royal Purple 90wt in his transmission and said it quieted down the grinding noise. Anyone else use this stuff in the vehicles/tractors?

I don't want to sound like a commercial, but this oil is fantastic, and if it can extend the life of these old tractors it would be worth while testing it.

Dennis

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Royal Purple Synthetic Oil -- Anyone ever use this stuff?

Postby Donny M » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:39 pm

I've been using it my motorcycles and am very happy with it, except it's pretty pricey. Hope this doesn't turn into one of "those" oil threads :D :D :D

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:51 am

i have heard that it will increase mpg as well as horsepower. might be interesting to check on rick's dyno.
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:30 am

The NAPA that I worked at had it. It was very popular with the serious street racers.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:08 am

I haven't used Royal Purple but I do use synthetic motor oil in my on-road engines but I get the Wal-Mart's Tech store brand. Synthetics really do increase fuel economy by 1-2 mpg. Transmissions, axles and transfer cases are slowly getting synthetic gear oil as they come due, I haven't noticed any changes in noise or economy.

Tractors and other utility machines still get dino lubes, I'm afraid i'll put synthetic in units with wet clutches by accident - wet clutches don't work so well when the friction is reduced.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Postby Festus » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:53 pm

I use it in my vehicles including the 72 Cutlass, but not in any tractors. I love it.

Festus
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:38 am

Lurker Carl wrote:I haven't used Royal Purple but I do use synthetic motor oil in my on-road engines but I get the Wal-Mart's Tech store brand. Synthetics really do increase fuel economy by 1-2 mpg. Transmissions, axles and transfer cases are slowly getting synthetic gear oil as they come due, I haven't noticed any changes in noise or economy.

Tractors and other utility machines still get dino lubes, I'm afraid i'll put synthetic in units with wet clutches by accident - wet clutches don't work so well when the friction is reduced.

I use the Royal Purple Max-Cycle which is wet clutch compatable, it's a little pricey but well worth it IMO.

TractorChick
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63023
Skype Name: The Chick
Tractors Owned: 2006 exmark zeroturn
1949 farmall cub
1948 farmall C
1963 Tilly Tiller
1951 Farmall Super A "lil' devil"
1945 farmall a "Apple"
1955 farmall cub

Postby TractorChick » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:28 pm

A few friends of mine use Royal Purple in their 4 wheelers and they swear by it. I've never used it personally but they all like using it.
Silly Boys, Trucks are for girls.... :)
1963 Divco milk truck
1998 chevy Z71 truck
1984 SS Elcamino

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:32 pm

I figured I saved about 3 gallons of gas on my one trip to Cubarama with that extra mile or so per gallon I'm getting now. As I said, I'm from Missouri, the show me state, and so far they are showing me -- I'm impressed.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:51 pm

OK... What is the "cost comparison" between the the Royal Purple and regular Dino-Oil? I know it is more expensive per quart of the stuff, but what is the "as used" cost difference? Take into account that you don't need to change it as often, and the fact that you are gaining at least a mile per gallon... What do you figure in true cost to run Royal Purple in your vehicle?

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:13 pm

WisconsinCubMan wrote:OK... What is the "cost comparison" between the the Royal Purple and regular Dino-Oil? I know it is more expensive per quart of the stuff, but what is the "as used" cost difference? Take into account that you don't need to change it as often, and the fact that you are gaining at least a mile per gallon... What do you figure in true cost to run Royal Purple in your vehicle?

Mike in La Crosse, WI

A regular oil change was going to cost me $30.00, the royal purple change cost me $50.00... I wasn't counting on any increased MPG, but was only looking at a 6,000 mile filter change, and top off before having to have another oil change. I figured I'd have at least two more regular changes before that (at $25/$30 per change). So I figured I'd be a head or at least be even, but the extra MPG is a bonus I wasn't counting on.

All I can say is so far, I'm impressed with my results so far. I'll problibly run it in my lawn tractor when I change its oil at the end of the season. Don't know about messing with the Cub -- I think it likes good old 30wt dino-oil -- but it is tempting to try it and see if it gets a little more juice out of it -- might be Cub Tug secret for next year? :lol:

TractorChick
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 farmall cub
1948 farmall C
1963 Tilly Tiller
1945 farmall a "Apple"
1955 farmall cub

Postby TractorChick » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:08 am

Is it true that once you run synthetic through an engine, you have to continue the rest of it's life?
Thats what I had heard
1963 Divco milk truck
1998 chevy Z71 truck
1984 SS Elcamino

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:47 pm

TractorChick wrote:Is it true that once you run synthetic through an engine, you have to continue the rest of it's life?
Thats what I had heard

Not according to my mechanic. That was one of the first questions I asked too :)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:30 pm

If you do your own oil changes be aware that Royal Purple is only purple for a short time. During use the die fades and when it's drained the distinct purple color is gone.

TractorChick
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 farmall cub
1948 farmall C
1963 Tilly Tiller
1945 farmall a "Apple"
1955 farmall cub

Postby TractorChick » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:26 am

So .... is it really worth it?
I mean, since it gets better gas mileage, i would see taht as a plus... but if it costs so much more to run, are you really saving anything?
1963 Divco milk truck
1998 chevy Z71 truck
1984 SS Elcamino

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”