This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 'A' success story (sorta)

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Farmall 'A' success story (sorta)

Postby artc » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:53 pm

I brought a farmall 'A' from the museum into my shop over the weekend. has not run for 20 odd years probably, sitting in the weeds uncovered. the lift-all control valve on the exhaust manifold was rusted closed and thereby saved the engine from the 'water in the exhaust' slow death. this is a unit that wasn't 'first pick' at the farm to get running, to be sure.
cleaned up and repaired the sediment bowl, gas tank was decent, took the carb apart for a look-see and very basic cleaning, touched up the points in the mag turned distributer system, MMO in the cylinders for a day, hand cranked it cause the starter has a dead spot, and VRRRRRROOOMMM :!: she runs :!: 8) 8) 8)

couldn't locate the timing mark, and my 'A' manual is on loan (hint) so i just did it by TDC and back off a bit. turned out to be a little early so I adjusted.

but to my question. since the timing mark is not on the crank pulley, i seem to recall it was on the flywheel maybe....oh, just thought of this....that little hole in the bell housing... is that right????

anyway, what a great sound to hear a motor silent for years, just start up and go. only one major problem...the clutch or pilot bearing is frozen to the flywheel. we pushed it to get the transmission 'syncro' going and drove around clutch in depressing the brakes, no go. can of PB blaster later, still no go. anyone got any ideas??
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:38 pm

Art, Don't have an A myself, but I remember reading a post that the timing mark is on the flywheel and you have to line it up from the bottom. I believe they said the mark on the housing was hard to see.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:26 pm

Art:

The manuals will be on the way tomorrow or the day after. Can I have your return address again, I misplaced it -- what else is new :?: :roll: :oops: :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:55 pm

Art, congrats, always fun to hear one purr that has been left for dead!! :wink:
The timing mark is on the flywheel (usually pretty nush hidden by grease), viewed through the inspection cover in the bell housing. The pointer (pressed steel) or line (cast) is on the fly wheel cover on the fornt of the bell housing.
Timing of the mag on an A is the same as a Cub, bring engine to TDC, roll mag out til the impulse trips.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”