This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front Axle Bushing?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Front Axle Bushing?

Postby johnbron » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:48 am

I know a few of you have cleaned your complete front axle housing in the electrolysis tank.

What I am concerned about is the brass/bronze? bushings for pivot point & spindles. I have read that NO aluminum, brass, bronze, or copper should go into this cleaning process. What did you guys do about the bushings when you dunked your front axle for cleaning?. I dont even want to attempt to try removing them.
Then came Bronson

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:29 pm

Speaking of electrolysis, I read a good trick on one of the other sites that is good for the inside of axle housings, blocks, etc. He used a stainless steel wire that he put inside a plastic tube and cut several notches in the tube. That gave better action inside the passage.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:40 pm

I was told not to never ever use stainless in that process. Is that true or not??

Just curious.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Metals

Postby allenlook » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:20 pm

My assumption is that you do not want these metals to be the sacrificial cathodes. I left the bushings in my front axle and they look fine after a week of 10 amp electrolysis. It would be bad (and I read it would be *very* bad) to use stainless as the sacrificial cathode. You can refer to the links on Rudi's site for all that info.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:32 pm

:P Well allenlook I guess if it never did any damage to yours after a week then I might just try it.

BTW, I have used a stainless broil rack as the sacrificial culprit for over a year and have not seen any problems. :?:
Then came Bronson

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:21 pm

It was what was done with the water in the tank after use that was the problem.

I kinda answered my own question.

This is what I found.

http://antique-engines.com/stainless-st ... trodes.htm :?: :?:
Last edited by WJ on Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:25 pm

JB:

So far I haven't seen a problem with the two front axles that I did in the tank.... I don't imagine that a week or 10 days at 10amps would cause that much of a problem, especially considering how much grease, dirt, goo and other crud is around the brass..... to me it just seemed to make em cleaner...

Oh, keep yer eyes peeled fer me latest project!!!!! Posting soon.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:28 pm

I am really new to this electrolysis thing. Is this the better than media blasting? What are the benefits??

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:34 pm

In response to "no stainless" in the tank. Stainless steel works much better
than any other metal I have ever used.

I also, have left two complete front axles in the vat for up to a week at
6-10 amps on 12v dc and the bronze bushings [don't think they are brass]
shows no sign of pitting, discoloration, or any other dectable negative
effects.

I think the, "don't put brass, aluminum, etc (metals other than steel or
cast) in the tank came from the fact that it will not clean them. This
process, the best I have been able to glean, will only affect iron oxidation,
rust. Brass croddes and oxidizes but does not rust neither does aluinum.

I could be mistaken about this but think I am ok.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:39 pm

IO:

Does "metal so clean it is ready for primer, with next to no work" interest you???

Then if so, read up on the de-rusto tank on the manual server. You will be impressed.

Example - I brought my buddy Gordon Trail's tank to CubFest Northeast 2004 and set it up with a centre disk from a rear wheel in it. It was the most popular workshop in the 2-1/2 days there. Lots of interest. In fact, I have been asked by dozens of people who saw it for directions to make one.

3 or 4 have already been made. The next generation tank for me is documented and will be posted shortly -- stay tuned.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:32 pm

:P Thanks alot fellers, Your proven hands on experience has given me the decision that My axle tube will be going into the tank hopefully tomorrow as soon as I get the remaining spindle out. The first one required a lot of filing & emery cloth before it slipped out.___ Here is the most in depth article that I found. It is kind of long but interesting.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm
Then came Bronson

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Wow...

Postby allenlook » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:50 pm

Wow, that's a LOT of information on electrolysis! I haven't used the bulb in series to reduce the current flow, as all of the parts I've tried to restore have been what he would consider "casual parts".

I had two tanks going at once, one small one with a 1A battery trickle charger that worked just fine, and the larger 15 gallon tub with a 2/10/50A charger on it set to 2A, and then to 10A when I was comfortable with the process.

The gauge really does help you determine whether or not you have current flow, and without it, you aren't getting much electrolysis as far as I can tell. I also accidentally shorted the pieces one time and it was obvious from the sound of the charger.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:24 pm

HI ALL

If I read correctly above Electolosys won't work on any cast iron parts ? :oops: :roll: Paul K.in N.H.

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:30 pm

Just reread

I think my previous message is wrong it will work on cast parts. very sorry. Paul K. in N.H.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Cast parts...

Postby allenlook » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:32 pm

Yep, works great on the cast parts - just doesn't remove unsightly hair as well as you'd think :shock: :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”