This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub met its match???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bigjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

cub met its match???

Postby bigjohn » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:07 am

We recently had a tornado hit. I have been cutting up trees for over a month now to clean the yard up. I figured out the the cub does a pretty good job yanking limbs, stumps and logs around the yard. Over the weekend I pulled a large cherry and walnut stump. I also drug a cherry log 28" diameter at the base and 8 feet long with it, that was soaking wet from rain. Sunday I tried to pull the last log I had in the yard. It was a cedar log about 10 foot long and right around 32" through. I figured it would be no problem, after all its cedar, couldn't be as heavy as the cherry, i thought. My old lady laughed and said it wouldn't pull it. Well she was right, I got it a few inches and choked out. So I got on the horn and dad came over to pull it with his 140. He drug it through the yard and only had to use his brakes for motivation a couple of times. He got to the side of the barn with it, where I told him to go. He pulled in and realized I had parked a vehicle there that had a blown head gasket to the side where he planned to exit. Fence to the side, barn in front, a tree and broken vehicle to the other side and a log behind. He couldn't push it backwards with the 140. I didn't want to saw it because it was full of barbed wire. So I squeezed the cub in where the 140 wouldn't fit and hooked up one last time. I managed to drag the log about four feet to rescue dad's tractor.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:15 am

Sometimes smaller is better.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:19 pm

John:

Sorry to hear about the damage from the tornado :( As for pulling logs, Ellie does it on a regular basis and usually has no problems as you know from the cherry and walnut experience. The cedar log has me surprised as well....

What really makes me heart ache though is the thought of those wonderful cherry and walnut logs that will probably go to a mill if they are lucky or to firewood if they are not. I would give my youknowhats to have access to a cherry or walnut log that size. We just don't have access to that as they do not grow well here. Being a cabinetmaker, it almost makes me wanna cry..... :cry:

Hope you get it all cleaned up okay and that you didn't have any serious damage or losses.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”