This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

She is ALIVE..........

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

She is ALIVE..........

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:50 am

Annie roared to life last night! :lol: :lol: What a great feeling. I was doing the "Peewee Herman" dance all around the back yard. I got a freind over to help me troubleshoot and we found out, you guessed it, that I had it timed 180 degrees off. On the exaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. It all makes sense to me now. WOW, I still can learn something at my age. My freind was a shop foreman at the IH plant here in Louisville for 20+ years. He has forgotten more about Cubs than I'll every know.

Thanks for all the help and support, Now to get her back together in time for Cubarama.
Hey BD, I told you I would make it :oops:

Now to get the clutch adjusted and the wiring back on.

I also need to replace the choke rod. The PO used an old caot hanger :cry: Anybody know what size rod it is? Is it bent the same as the starter rod?
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:19 am

The choke handle mirrors the starter rod, but you can buy them pretty cheap from http://www.jptractorsalvage.com or http://www.tmtractor.com or http://www.chowntractorparts.com
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Choke Rod

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:12 am

Ken,

The choke rod could be a little tricky to make (correctly), so I think John's recommendation is a good one. But if you are still curious, here are some photos of the starter and choke rods. The choke rod is the longer of the 2, and both are about 3/16" round...........Bill V.
Image[/img]
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:45 pm

Bah, it's easy to make, and costs you less than $2. :)

Get a 3ft piece of 3/16 round bar at Lowes or Home Depot. Bend a 90 degree in one end and drill a 1/16" hole through. You'll need to make two bends in the rod to snake around and through everything from the choke lever to the dash panel. Use the TLAR method. Worked for me.

Once you get it fitting well, you can bend the loop handle and cut off any excess. I messed up and bent the loop the wrong way, and cut it off too short, but it looks the business, and it works, so who cares?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:55 pm

Ken:

Yup, that usually seems to be the problem when all else is okay. Believe me, you are not the first nor the last.... been there done that and 3 or 4 guys here have done the same thing.

As for the choke rod, you should be able to make one, but getting an original or a good repro is better. David, John, or Tom should have one relatively cheap. Far better than making one.

Also, if you are going to Cub-Arama, John probably can put one aside for you so no shipping involved!

And, as for adjusting the clutch, just in case here is the link to the thread on that thar subject! That Special Feeling. The title seems to be apropos for your situation at the moment :D

Congrats on getting Annie running again, and you will remember that feeling every time you fire her up :!: :wink: Lookin forward to seeing pics.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”