This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

swamp plow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bigjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

swamp plow

Postby bigjohn » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:33 pm

I was talking to dad today about needing a good one bottom plow for my cub. He said he had one. He showed it to me. He said it came with his 140, but was too short. So he decided it was probably for a cub. It looks awful big to me. It is also funny looking, it has slits in the side, dad said that was for wet ground, he called it a swamp plow. Did they make such a thing for cubs? How big a plow will a cub pull? How do I tell if it will fit my cub?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:00 pm

Hi bigjohn

If your dad's plow looks like this, it will work great on the cub. I was told the same thing, these were designed for plowing in "muck". but they will turn drier dirt well too.

Mike

bigjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

swamp plow?

Postby bigjohn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:05 am

That looks like it. Can't tell for sure if it is the same size but the hook up to the rockshaft looks like it is in a similar location. It definately has the same slits.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:29 am

Bigjohn, that type plow is really rare for a cub, You usually find them on larger plows, congratulations on finding it. You can see how to mount it by going to http://www.tmtractor.com and selecting galleries, and then near the bottom of the page pick implement hookups. The plow for a cub and a Super A were very similiar except for the size. One for a cub was 12 inches and for a super A was 14 inches. This is measured from the landslide to the heel (rear) of the plowshare. this is the width the plow actually cuts. You will also need a depth control lever that mounts to the final drive and adjusts the drawbar height.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bigjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

swamp plow?

Postby bigjohn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:44 am

Cool, got lucky I guess. I am a little confused though. In the pictures there is a chain hooked from the rockshaft to the plow. There is also the draw bar adjusting lever. Do they both adjust depth? This is probably a dumb question!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:54 am

To install the plow, remove the drawbar and remove the bolts at each mounting bracket so the drawbar can move up and down on the 2 pivot pins. Reinstall the drawbar in the front mounting holes facing forward. The depth control lever mounts to the right final drive and has a "dog bone" that bolts to the drawbar (many people buy an extra drawbar rather than having to take theirs apart each time. The plow bolts to the drawbar off set a little to the right. The rockshaft lifts the plow out of the ground, and the depth contol lever moves the drawbar up and down which changes the pitch of the plow and controls the depth. There is an owners manual on Rudi's manual server at http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/index.html
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bigjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

sorry dumb question

Postby bigjohn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:57 am

Yep, I read the manual. It all makes sense now.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:50 pm

Bigjohn, the pix that mike loaded up was my 189 slate wing plow at cub fest 2004 . It works well in wet soil .but without the help of Gary, Farmer George and everyone else who helped in Farmers shed. I would still be scratching my head on how it mounted.the Pix on TM web site are great.And I wasn't aware that the slat wing was so rare it is the only one I have seen here in central Indiana. That is why it stayed mounted on the tractor for this show season. good luck on getting it mounted if you need some pix I can Email some. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:43 pm

The slat bottom (proper name) is another one of those local things. Some places they are common, others you never see one.

If you aren't sure about the model or size of your plow bottom, see if you can get a part number off the share. I might be able to find it in a parts book to detemine the model/size.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:09 am

Jim, my plow has a number on the plow frame . Dont know it off hand but I will get it and post it for Bigjohn to compare. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Return to “Farmall Cub”