This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SCEPTICISM-SAND BLASTING

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

SCEPTICISM-SAND BLASTING

Postby rleggitt » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:27 pm

Boy can scepticism ever be costly!! :( :( :( I remember reading some
time ago about some one on the board using the electrolysis vat and then
cleaning by sandblasting in lieu of washing and scrubbing.

W-e-l-l, today I finally broke down and tried the little 25lb. capacity protable Campbell-Hausfeld unit I purchased last year. I had about 1/3
of the scoop frame in the electrolysis vat [due to size I could only get
this much in at a time] I took it out and tried the blaster. You will not
believe how easily it cleaned that frame. :lol: :lol: :lol: I mean to shiny metal. It only took about 7-8 lbs of sand. I mean old paint, rust, dirt,
35 years everything g-o-n-e.

Try it you will like it!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:17 pm

Russ,

I have one of those Harbor Frieght blasters $49.95 I think. I really like it but it's still in CA at my BIL's house. I need to go and rescue it one of these days.

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:44 pm

How much of an air compressor do you need to use those smaller units? I would like one, but I don't have a HUGE air compressor.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:53 pm

ChickenWing,

The compressor I have is just a 25 gal 5 hp craftsman. I have to stop and let it rest way too much. Not enough compressor :!: :!: If I was going to do a lot of blasting I would be getting a real compressor :!: :!:

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:15 pm

Well,
Naturally, I went the cheap way. I spent $12.00 at Home Depot for the pistol grip blaster that comes with the long rubber hose and metal tube. Cut the top on a $2.00 bag of sand, stick in the metal tube..and off you go. Using eye and respiratory protection a must. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:35 pm

And this works well? What size compressor do you use with it?

hr's49cub wrote:Well,
Naturally, I went the cheap way. I spent $12.00 at Home Depot for the pistol grip blaster that comes with the long rubber hose and metal tube. Cut the top on a $2.00 bag of sand, stick in the metal tube..and off you go. Using eye and respiratory protection a must. :lol: :lol: :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:37 pm

I have one of the pressurized ones, and it is great to use, but I'm no longer able to wrestle it around so I guess I'm going to start looking for a smaller one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:13 pm

I have the much critized Coleman Powermate 6HP 30 gal. I cleaned about 75% of this tractor with it. It isn't without some drawbacks. A $2.00 bag of sand will not be pure, so you'll have the occassional "clod in the churn". If I can remember correctly, seems I blasted at about 80psi.
After about 15 minutes, me and the compressor took a break. That rubber respirator mask was hot!

I blasted the shifter knob by mistake......turned to brass! :shock: 8) :wink:

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:44 pm

HR,

Nothing wrong with what I can see. Looks -G-R-E-A-T to me.

Chickenwing,

I just have a 30 gal. 6hp C-H. It starts out great at around 95lb and
then the pressure drops to around 65lb after a couple of minutes but
no further. The compressor has to run continually, However, for what
I am doing I only need to run about 5-6 minutes and then I can rest
a minute and the compressor cut off. Then we start over again. But
even at the lower pressure with the good super fine sand it does a
great job. I even tried blasting some of the part that had not been in
the E. vat and it did ok just s-l-o-w.

Hope this helps.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Sand vs. water

Postby allenlook » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:17 am

I got *amazing* results this weekend with a cheapo water pressure gun I bought at the local tool show (bought a sand blasting attachment and a larger compressor at the same time, just in case.) It's as much the SCFM as it is the gallon capacity, right?

Anyway, took my rusty crappy fan shround out of the electro tank and wiped it down like I did the rest of the parts, then thought hmmm, what the heck, so I water pressure blasted it.

Not down to shiny metal, but *extremely* clean. Probably will take paint better than the rest of my parts, which I have been painting with the Ace spray cans, and which have been "fish eye-ing" on the first coat. It takes quite a bit of paint to get good coverage with that stuff.

The Dupli-Color aluminum high-heat I used on the muffler, though. That coated instantly!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:18 am

my method on everything is electro-tank, hose it off, let it dry, and give it a sandblast. as EZ says takes the work out of blasting, and i think it provides a better surface for paint adhesion. no scrubbing or oiling the part. :) :)
it does make for a long progression of parts in various stages of restoration. :oops: reminds me, there's a PTO shield for my 'A' in the electro-tank. better go fish it out.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall Cub”