This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub 54 Leveling/Grader Blade

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave.49.cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45066
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub - Working Tractor -Mowing, log skidding, snow plowing.
1947 Farmall Cub - My Dad's

Cub 54 Leveling/Grader Blade

Postby Dave.49.cub » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:28 am

I've been looking for a Cub 54 blade for my 1949 Cub http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4469 and visited the gallery at TM Parts http://www.tm-tractor.com/gim/gim_001.htm

I was aware of the CUb54A blade but it looks like IH had a very early blade for the 1948 and maybe earlier Cubs called the Cub Leveling/Grader Blade. Then according to TM they came up with the Cub 54 Leveling/Grader Blade for models 1949-1952 and then the Cub 54A Leveling/Grader Blade came along for 1953 and up Cubs.

Does it sound like I have pieced this together right or can you mount a Cub 54A Leveling/Grader Blade on any Cub?
Dave.49.cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:09 am

Dave. The 54A was designed for the regular cub for both the front mount and belly mount positions. It will mount on all years, late & early. The L54 was designed for front mount on the Lowboy. It cannot be mounted under the belly (Grader position). Not enough clearance. Hope this helps................
Ron

Dave.49.cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45066
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub - Working Tractor -Mowing, log skidding, snow plowing.
1947 Farmall Cub - My Dad's

Postby Dave.49.cub » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:00 am

Yeah, the L-54 blade is strictly for the Lowboy so I'm wondering just about the C54 and C54A blade.
Dave.49.cub

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:31 am

Dave. Either the C54 or C54A will fit. As you stated, the C54 began production in 1949. The C54A began production in 1954 with improvements in the mounting & probably the better of the two. But, as you were questioning, either could be used on all the regular Cubs...........
Ron

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:05 pm

There were basicly 4 versions of the blade made for the Farmall and International Cubs, not counting the versions for the Lo-Boys.

The Cub Leveling and grader blade was made in 1948. It is lighter and has several other operational disadvantages compared to the others. It did not come with a substitute drawbar so you were expected to reverse the regular drawbar to mid-mount the blade. The other versions all came with a substutute drawbar.

The early Cub-54 was built 1949-1952. Many of the parts of this blade continued through the latest blades.

The late Cub-54 was built in 1952 and 1953 (and probably in 1954). The changes were largely in the lift linkages.

The Cub-54A was built starting 1954. One reference I have says the last year was 1973. But they appear in much later brochures. Maybe they had a warehouse full of them somewhere. This blade was almost indistinguishable from the later Cub-54. The major difference was the substitute drawbar which was modified for compatibility with the Fast-Hitch. Interestingly enough, the substitute drawbar was modified a second time for compatibility with the later screw type Fast-Hitch, with no nomenclature change.

Any of these blades can be mounted on any standard Cub and mid-mounted using either a reversed drawbar or a substitute drawbar. The only restriction is that if the tractor has a Fast-Hitch, it requires the use of the appropriate substitute drawbar to mid-mount.

There was also an L-54 blade for the offset Lo-Boys. It was built from 1955 to 1973. Front mount only.

The model 54 blade was made for the numbered Lo-Boy tractors. I mention it because it looks similar and people mix them up with blades for the offset models and try attaching them where they don't fit.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:20 am

Turns out I stepped in it in my last reply here. There is one more catch on the compatibility of the blade to any version of a standard Cub. On tractors without Touch-Control the blades can be used with the same hand-lift parts that are common to many implements. However, the arm on the front rockshaft is enough different to cause a small problem. The large bolt hole in the front arm is positioned about 1/4 inch differently than on the Touch-Control arm. Consequently, the front bolt that holds the bellcrank extension (boomerang) can't be put in. So the blade has to be mounted without the boomerang. It can be used for belly mounting but has to go with only one bolt.

The Owner's Manuals are also unaware of the difference and give the same mounting instructions for Touch-Control or hand lift. Thanks to Tom at TM Tractor Parts for spotting this difference.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:05 pm

Jim,

I have the blade belly mounted on Scruffy without the "boomerang" and would recommend it. The lift rod is linked to the shorter arm and therefore has a slower rate of travel. It still raises plenty far for transport, but gives finer control.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:11 pm

George,
You have a valid point there. The shorter arm will give you easier fine control. I notice a single rod going down to your blade. Is it one of the earlier versions or did you make up the rod you are using?

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:12 pm

Jim Becker wrote:George,
You have a valid point there. The shorter arm will give you easier fine control. I notice a single rod going down to your blade. Is it one of the earlier versions or did you make up the rod you are using?

Jim,

The rod is shop built... a little longer than original. It attaches to a shop built bracket on the frame.

One of the pleasures of this hobby is making things that work.

My first grader blade was completely shop built.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:59 pm

George,alot of the custom built things you make are pretty neat.I only wish I had half your talent.....

I think I am going to get that boomarang dang thing.I replaced the tow strap with a chain now. I still need a lift strap and spring.

Albie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Albie » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:58 am

I Have a couple of front end and belly grader blades here for sale and you are not that far from N. W. Pa. AlBie

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Hesston...

Postby allenlook » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:57 am

I've got a Hesston plow that I can't figure out how it hooks up to my Cub...

I don't have any of the levers or straps to put it on the front, obviously, so I'm trying to figure out how it goes under the belly. I think I might be missing parts for that, too...

All I have is the plow, spring mounted to its own frame, coming back in an "H" configuration with clevis pin mounts on each far end of the "H".
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:01 am

Never heard of a Hesston plow for a Cub. The description sounds enough like a Cub-54 that you should get some ideas from looking at the pictures on TM Tractor Parts.

http://www.tm-tractor.com/gim/gim_001.htm

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Well...

Postby allenlook » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:04 am

Well, you're right Jim, I should not assume that it hooks up to the Cub just because it came with it! :roll: :shock:

I also have two plows, one with a disk and one without, that don't look like they hook up "easily". :roll: :?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Err...

Postby allenlook » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:08 am

Errrrr, what I have looks very little like that, except for the plow piece, and the back ends of the "H" don't look quite like that!

Uh oh... :shock:

Return to “Farmall Cub”