This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tie rods won't budge!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Tie rods won't budge!

Postby EZ » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:32 am

I'm sure most of us have given up trying to get the tie rods apart.
I'm looking to adjust mine in all the way on the '67 Lo. Those babies are sure rusted in there solid. Right now I'm using it's own threads to "pull" it out of the tie rod hollow piece, I've had tension on it all nite, lots of Liquid Wrench, heat etc..but it's in there tight. Thinking maybe it needs the dunk tank treatment, but if anyone else, say, George Willer types, have any suggs. it would be appreciated.
Just Do It !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:04 am

EZ, this may be a stupid question, but you did remove the bolts and not just loosen them didn't you? they set in notches in the inner rod.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:37 am

No question is ever a stupid question.
Some questions just have to be asked no matter how simple they seem.
I can imagine you, imagining me, hammering away at this thing with the bolt still in and getting nowhere, 'til I finally lose all my marbles and take the big sledge to it and pound it into and nice little twisted piece of no good for nuthin', rusty, ugly, piece of scrap, hunk a junk, dad-blasted-pack-a-flatteraps, lightning Mary-ann :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Now we wouldn't want that to happen would we. :lol:
Just Do It !

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:52 am

EZ,

Try a little rotation along with tension. It worked for me. I ended up making new inners as they were bent pretty bad. Managed to save the outers.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:20 pm

OK,

During lunch I took a look in to see if I could give the tie-rod a go.

Here's how to get one off if it's stuck:

1. Remove the tie-rod end keeper and nut, also remove the clamp and bolt.

2. Clamp the tie rod in your vise, but don't grab it by the outer pipe, you have to grab it right where the pipe ends and the solid piece that goes into the steering arm meet. (opposite end of the where the threads are).

3. Find yourself a "pounder" which could be a heavy pulley, a big gear, a short heavy piece of pipe. Thing is, it should have a hole in the center just abit bigger than the outer pipe of the tie-rod.

4. Slide your "pounder" over the outer pipe of tie-rod.

5. You now need some washers (good thick ones) with a hole the same size as the inner piece of the tie-rod which you want to remove.

6. Slide a couple of those washers onto the tie-rod til they come up against the outer pipe.

7. Now find a small piece of pipe, or a deep socket, or big nuts, that will fit over the tie-rod, but leave about an inch of the tie-rod threads exposed.

8. Now thread the keeper back on ( this is the piece that holds the steering at the spindle )

9. Apply some torque.

10. What should happen is, as you thread the keeper on, you will be affectively "pulling" the inner piece out of the outer tube. You will need a pipe wrench to thread it up tight.

11. Once it is snugged up. If the inner is still not moving, slide your "pounder" toward washers with a few good solid raps to free things up. If it comes free you can use the pounder now to get it the rest of the way out.

P.S. With one side out, I proceeded to set up my jig to remove the other tie-rod. When I started to tighten up the keeper, it would not get tight. In fact when I grabbed onto it, the tie-rod pulled right out by hand no problem. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think most of the problem with these tie-rods getting stuck is if the outer pipe gets bent, or dented etc...it really causes some headaches with binding. Rust does not help matters either.

Hope it's clear enough in words. Sorry no pics.
Just Do It !

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:25 pm

Nice job EZ,

BTW how far are you from Ottawa. I may have a job to do up there in mid Sept. Eh :D

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:42 pm

Donny,

We're talking 12 hours northeast from here to Ottawa. I've only gone out there a couple times. Gas is cheap in Ottawa though, that's where the Federal Government resides :wink:
Just Do It !

Return to “Farmall Cub”