This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sold my Cub, Need info on 300U

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Dinwiddie
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sold my Cub, Need info on 300U

Postby John Dinwiddie » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:46 pm

I need a more modern tractor than my old Cub. I would appreciate any comparison of a 300U to the old 600 series Fords. Tractor I am looking at has TA. Any common quirks in these old IH's? where theyoriginally equiped with 3pt hitch? Thanks in advance
John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:40 pm

John, I believe the 300 would have had a 2 point fast hitch rather than a 3 point. The TA on these older ones can be a source of problems but rebuild kits and rebuilt units are available. I also believe the steering box was a weak spot on the 300U's but that might be only the ones with power steering, I can't remember for sure. If the tractor has seen loader duty, look at it closely. I'm sure Jim B. or Mike S. can enlighten you much more than I can on this.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:01 pm

John,

Maybe it's because I'm partial to Cubs, but I would recommend against a 300-U. I had a good running one with good rubber and a good TA. It didn't have PS and steered so bad that I didn't use it. I traded it even for a non-running project Cub.

It was a much heavier and stouter tractor than my Ford 641. The Ford is more useful.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:02 pm

I haven't had any first--hande with a 300U, but I would look at the same places BD mentioned.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”