This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering wheel turns *hard*, and collar is sloppy.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Wow!

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:44 am

Wow, that's more involved than I would have thought!

I guess I'd better get busy with the electrolysis tank, and find some bottle jacks somewhere.

I have one of those electronic battery chargers, I wonder if that is good enough, or if it's only trickle... It works on deep cel marine batteries and regular batteries, but it doesn't have a needle guage, just LED lights. It's a large unit, not just a wall wart, so maybe I'll try it on a small basis.

I read somewhere that a kid used a computer power supply, and I have plenty of those lying around, but I can't imagine it has the amps required.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:24 am

George Willer wrote:Bronson,

A lot of trips around the table. Each jack could only move a few thousandths before it would bind. The side that finally came loose was cleaned up and re-assembled with the pin so the other side would be pushed out.

The inside of the outer tube was cleaned using a sander belt wrapped around a slotted rod and driven by a drill motor.

Thanks George, I am about to take My front axle off as soon as the weather cools down a bit and your guidence gives me a lot of food for thought.
Then came Bronson

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Different

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:29 am

George,

My front axle looks a lot different that that... The shafts that the steering knuckle rods are enclosed in are much longer than that... Is mine atypical? I have at least 12 inches or more of rusted shaft to break free!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Different

Postby George Willer » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:36 am

allenlook wrote:George,

My front axle looks a lot different that that... The shafts that the steering knuckle rods are enclosed in are much longer than that... Is mine atypical? I have at least 12 inches or more of rusted shaft to break free!

No, Allan. Yours are the more common. The example in the picture is from a lo-boy. I think the difference in length is 7 1/2". The procedure should be much the same.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:21 pm

allenlook:

No, the computer power supplies even though they have both 12v and 5v stages, do not have the amperage required for the tank.

HOWEVER, ifn you were to go to an Army/Navy surplus store and were to be able to find a 12 v power supply used to power radios which have taps, then you should be able to use that. I have been looking.

I currently have one in my Ham shack, but there ain't no way I am using that one - I need it for my old radios.

It is a Stancon power supply rack mountable
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Go with what I got

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:40 pm

I'll plug in what I have (a battery charger with LED's) and watch for bubbles...

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:43 pm

Don't use the automatic charger they will burn out get a manual charger

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

!Aha!

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:48 pm

Aha, thanks! I love this forum!

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:50 pm

I have been using an automatic charger that I bought used for 5-bucks and it has many, many hours on it being used for nothing but My cleaning tank and it has not given me any problems such as burning out.
Then came Bronson

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:29 pm

just my observation as soon as i started to use it with the tank it only lasted about a week and somewhere it said to use a manual cause the auto cycles on & off But i may be wrong and it won't be the first time or the last

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Got *almost* everything...

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:21 pm

I bought a manual charger, large plastic tub, etc. today, but I can't find TSP *anywhere*.

The Wal*Mart, Agway, Lowes', etc. all carry products that say they are TSP, but on the back they say "substitute - phosphate free" in large or fine print. I don't know what they are, but I don't figure they'll work if they aren't actually TSP?

Where do I get the stuff or something else to use?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:30 pm

Try Arm & Hammer washing soda - found in the laundry aisle of the supermarket. If you can't find that, use baking soda.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Same mixture?

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:32 pm

Same mixture? 1 TBSP per Gallon?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:34 pm

Yes.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Cool!

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:37 pm

Now *that* I got :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”