This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 htydraulic leak down

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

154 htydraulic leak down

Postby BigBill » Thu May 29, 2008 8:33 pm

On my int154 cub my hydraulics leak down. My 3260 mower deck won't stay were i put it and my 3pt arms drop slowly too. It has the control valve and the selector valve. I haven't taken it apart yet so what do you think is the problem? Which valve?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 htydraulic leak down

Postby Eugene » Thu May 29, 2008 10:38 pm

On my int154 cub my hydraulics leak down. My 3260 mower deck won't stay were i put it and my 3pt arms drop slowly too. Which valve?
Good question. Could be in the hydraulic control valve or it could be one of the seals in the cylinder(s).

If the cylinder has up and down pressure then the seal in the cylinder is leaking.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri May 30, 2008 12:29 pm

I looked at my cylinders and no leaks were spotted. While i mow my deck lowered from where i set it, at the sametime my 3pt arms lower till they hit the ground while i'm mowing.

I guess i need to go thru the whole system.

I found the correct size O Ring and they came in packages of 100 for the selector valve. Once i'm sure there the correct rings I may sell a few, I don't need 100. I wonder if they offer a rebuild kit for the control valve. I purchased a used control valve from Ralph a while back and i'd like to rebuild it before i install it. Just to besafe. I have very bad luck.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat May 31, 2008 10:23 pm

There is a seal or a set of seals around the pistons inside the cylinder. If one of these seals is leaking - hydraulic fluid will pass from the high pressure side to the low pressure side - when the system is in neutral - letting the arms or attachment lower. Hydraulic fluid does not have to be leaking from around the ram.

If you have two or more cylinders in a system - it only takes one of the piston seals leaking for all of the cylinders to "lower".

Changing the seal is not a big problem - keep everything clean. If you have more than one cylinder - finding the leaking cylinder is the problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: 154 hydraulic leak down

Postby BigBill » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:36 pm

Stupid me, my memory is going ..... I won some int154 cub cylinders on ebay a while back now i just have to find them. I guess i may as well rebuild the whole hydraulic system so i'm sure its ok.

I'm going to try to lay the int154 cub up soon to work on it.

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:02 pm

BigBill wrote:Stupid me, my memory is going ..... I won some int154 cub cylinders on ebay a while back now i just have to find them. I guess i may as well rebuild the whole hydraulic system so i'm sure its ok.

sounds like my problem in reverse. I took apart the cylinder but a cessna cylinder is one way and gravity return. there is no rod seal the whol rod is the packing the fluid displaces all the mass of the rod. pretty cool I guess :big smirk:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:37 pm

I took apart the cylinder but a cessna cylinder is one way and gravity return. there is no rod seal the whole rod is the packing the fluid displaces all the mass of the rod. pretty cool I guess :big smirk:
Got to be seals some place to prevent hydraulic fluid from either passing the piston or on the single action cylinders using hydraulic fluid pressure to displace the piston rod - a series of Chevron seals are used to prevent hydraulic fluid from by passing the piston rod - leaking out the end of the cylinder.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Garland Terry wrote:
BigBill wrote:Stupid me, my memory is going ..... I won some int154 cub cylinders on ebay a while back now i just have to find them. I guess i may as well rebuild the whole hydraulic system so i'm sure its ok.

sounds like my problem in reverse. I took apart the cylinder but a cessna cylinder is one way and gravity return. there is no rod seal the whol rod is the packing the fluid displaces all the mass of the rod. pretty cool I guess :big smirk:

Thats how the hydraulic elevator cylinders are designed too there is no seal on the rod. The cylinder body fills up with oil and the rod goes up.

No matter where i set the selector valve it still drains down. If i raise up the 3pt to the max then change the selector valve to the center rocker shaft to use the mower deck the 3pt drops slowly. And so does the mower deck too.

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:22 pm

Eugene wrote:
I took apart the cylinder but a cessna cylinder is one way and gravity return. there is no rod seal the whole rod is the packing the fluid displaces all the mass of the rod. pretty cool I guess :big smirk:
Got to be seals some place to prevent hydraulic fluid from either passing the piston or on the single action cylinders using hydraulic fluid pressure to displace the piston rod - a series of Chevron seals are used to prevent hydraulic fluid from by passing the piston rod - leaking out the end of the cylinder.

Nope it don't have to. A cessna cylinder has an o ring and a dirt seal on the inside of to bore. and nothing on the rod but the keeper ring. :{_}:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:32 pm

Got to be seals some place to prevent hydraulic fluid from either passing the piston or piston rod.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Sorry but there are no seals in a cessna cylinder. period none nine nyet uh uh no way!! I have taken them apart to many times. :roll:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:08 pm

Got to be seals some place.

Nope it don't have to. A cessna cylinder has an o ring and a dirt seal on the inside of the bore. and nothing on the rod but the keeper ring.
What is the purpose of the o ring if it's not a seal?
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:36 am

I'm prepping my 3260 mower deck but before it goes on i need to repair my hydraulic leak down first. I also purchased extra used rocker shaft/3pt cylinders too from ebay.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”