This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Free shifter for repair and governor repair help needed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scott Blystone
10+ Years
10+ Years

Free shifter for repair and governor repair help needed

Postby Scott Blystone » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:01 am

hi, My shifter broke off a few months back and I bought a replacement from JP. I have the old one and will give it to whoever is willing to repair it and pass it along to the next person in need at cost. The inner "dome" sheared off the shaft - i think a typical problem. Is complete otherwise. Dummy me in a hurry put the new one on without a gasket - boy those gears really sling oil! Anyhow - anyone who can repair it, drop me an email and I'll send it along.

Second item. I think my governor is not working well and would like to know where on the web I can find instructions. I looked through Rudi's site and could not find it. Can someone direct me? My governor works a little and will make the engine snort when a big obstacle is encountered, but overall it does not work smoothly.
Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:18 am

A couple easy things to check on your governor.

First make sure the rod from the cross shaft to the carberator is not dragging on the block.

Second, move the hand throttle a few notches forward and see if the cross shaft (goes across the front of the engien to the governor) moves easily by hand. You should have to push against the spring to move it. If it is easy to move the joint where the rod goes into the governor is probably worn (common problem). To fix this problem remove the 2 bolts holding the cross shaft bracket at the left side of the engine, then the shaft will slip out of the bracket by pulling it to the left. The play can be repaired by either making a shim to go around the shaft (soda can works good). If the wear is severe, or by cleaning the rod and socket good and putting Loctite on it then allowing it to cure overnight before using. My 48 has both repairs on it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:21 am

Scott,

I've repaired a few, but when I made some pictures for an article on Rudi's site the only one I had to repair had been brazed at that point. If you send it, I'll try to do a better article.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Articles%20by%20George%20Willer/Cub%20Shifter%20Repair/Cub%20Shifter%20Repair%20and%20Improvement.htm
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”