This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator - how to get at those back bolts?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Radiator - how to get at those back bolts?

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:08 pm

OK, I'm taking the radiator off. I got all the big metal pieces off the front and sides of it and cleaned out all the spiders and mouse nests that were in there...

I also got the four screws out of the fan shroud (but it's still stuck on the fan of course). Curse the person who invented standard slotted (and rusted) screws.

Now, how do I get the four bolts out of the back of the radiator?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:11 pm

I used a box/open end wrench.
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:14 pm

To remove the fan assembly, first take off the air cleaner, and remove the generator. Now you can loosen the fan bolt. To do this use a wrench to turn the shaft, not the nut. Then slide the fan down enough to slip the belt off and then the fan can be moved up out of the slide and to the side along with the shroud. Then a long extension can be used to get to the bolts. A wobble joint helps.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Darn.

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:57 pm

I was afraid you were going to say that... :shock:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:05 pm

It's also the ideal time to change the belts if they're worn, as well as make sure the tube from the air cleaner to the block is clear, including it's fittings. Don't forget to oil the fan while it is easy to get to. There is no seal in the rear of the fan, so if you lay it over while it is off it may leak. Also easier to oil the generator while the hood is off.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Hood is off.

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:08 pm

Had some difficulty getting the hood off, but I assume it's OK with the little bit of gas in the tank, as it doesn't seem to be dripping. I put it up on sawhorses and put a bucket under it just in case.

The rubber hoses from the air cleaner will have to be replaced, so I've set them aside for my next trip to the hardware store.

I also plan to get all new fluids and some replacement grease fittings, as well as different screws to hold the fan shroud on - something that won't rust and that isn't standard-slotted probably.

I don't quite understand your instructions on removing the fan assembly, but I'll print them out and have them handy tomorrow when I can get a look at it again.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Belt loose

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:09 pm

Also, I noticed that the belt from the fan to the generator is *very* loose, but I'm assuming all I have to do is move the generator out a ways - it's on an adjustable slot just like the one on a car.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:14 pm

You are correct on the generator.

There are 2 ears that extend up from the timing cover that the fan hub is mounted to. The shaft for the fan has a flat spot on it just in front of the fork to put a wrench on, and the nut is in a channel in the 2 forks. To remove the fan you turn the shaft and the nut stays stationary.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Too dark...

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:26 pm

Man, that's hard to see in the dark. I'll have to wait until morning! Thanks for all your help so far. I've got the poor thing half torn apart, and it's bleeding liquids from all ends on a big sheet of plastic in my new barn :shock:

All of the liquids look like used motor oil - smelly, very watery, and black as sin. :?

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:38 am

Allen, I use a universal joint socket and a 12 long extension to reach the rear bolts. I bought the sockets in a set from Sears . They have proven to be very valuable. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Got it, thanks!

Postby allenlook » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:52 pm

Got the radiator off and drained the reservoir... Took the generator and the air cleaner and the fan off just to see how they worked. Only took about 1/2 hour anyway. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”