This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

3pt ripper (single tooth)

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

3pt ripper (single tooth)

Postby BigBill » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:53 pm

I started fabricating a single tooth ripper a while back and finally got to test it out on my int154 cub. This thing really rips up roots and small stumps and some surface rocks too. I also tested my clutch and drivetrain in my int154 cub too. It sure took a beating today for sure. I have to learn how to post pics of it as soon as i paint it up. I purchased a ripper tooth at TSC it goes in the grader box and i welded it up with a 3pt frame. These things cost between $175 to $300 the prices vary on them. I like fabricating my own stuff. :{_}: :{_}:

I have a few rocks on the surface that i always hit with my mower. Today i got two big rocks for one tug.... Every spring these rocks get higher and higher out of the ground too. I also found out that rocks can be like icebergs too with more under the ground than above. Some will have to stay until i get a backhoe.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Re: 3pt ripper (single tooth)

Postby Virginia Mike » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:33 am

Rocks grow! My Grandfather, Father, and I have thrown rocks out of the same garden. This has gone on from 1902; there are still rock every year. they must grow.
Best,
Mike
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:36 pm

One rock i took out is the size of the engine compartment on a cub cadet its that big. There was a 6" diameter part of it showing and of course i hit it everytime while mowing. Well I'm not going to hit it anymore. The ripper also popped other rocks like popcorn too just one hit and they rolled out. Using a ripper is awesome but we have to learn how to use it thats the key...
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat May 03, 2008 7:54 pm

Using a single tooth ripper isn't that hard to do. I learned very quickly on how to pull up rocks. I try to loosen them up first by a straight hit head on. Then from the opposite direction and then an end hit to turn it up and out. It depends on how big the rock is too. I just stay turning and hitting it from another direction to dig it out and loosen it up too thats the trick. The INT154 cub just doesn't have the raw hp the larger tractors do(farmall A's to M's) but if you apply your skills we can work around it with a lesser HP tractor. :D

I drive up on the rock and lower the 3pt hitch just before the rock so the ripper is deep as it gets to the rock. Then i bump the rock to see if it will loosen up, then if i spin a tire I raise the 3pt up to give the rear tires some down pressure and hit it again. Then if it doesn't come up i change direction and start all over again. :wink:

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Sat May 03, 2008 10:29 pm

BigBill wrote:One rock i took out is the size of the engine compartment on a cub cadet its that big. There was a 6" diameter part of it showing and of course i hit it everytime while mowing. Well I'm not going to hit it anymore. The ripper also popped other rocks like popcorn too just one hit and they rolled out. Using a ripper is awesome but we have to learn how to use it thats the key...

Could I interest you in a couple of acres of central Oklahoma blowsand. NO rocks, No grass, No mud problem, HA HA AHA AHAHA :twisted:

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon May 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Trust me these rocks are killing my blades on my 3260 60" mower deck. Its payback time for them...

My place was built in '57 and its never been landscaped correctly. They let the bushes just grow since '57. I hauled 15 rackbody truck loads of brushes away so far. The bushes were 25' thick to the property line and about 125' long thats a lot of brush. All my new neighbors can't believe the job were doing.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”