This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine overhaul

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ron
10+ Years
10+ Years

Engine overhaul

Postby Ron » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:59 pm

Hi All,
Well, I finally have Bretha broken in half and the engine is on the hoist.
I have a few questions you guys might be able to help me with before I start ordering parts.
Like Ken, I got a block assy from J P Tractors that has been bored .040 and ready to be put together using my crank, head, rods and accessories.

The block will be here tomorrow. I still need to take my head,rods and crank to the machine shop to be checked out so I will know what size bearings to order.

The first question I have is about the rear seal. I remember reading about the trouble some have had getting one with the correct clearance.
The one in my tractor now is made by National with number 355526 on it.
I assume this is an after market piece.
Does anyone know if this means I the old style retainer?
If so, is it possible to get a seal that would work without having to buy a different style retainer?

It also looks as if I have a Rockwell style clutch. I plan to install a complete cluth assy while the tractor is apart.
Which type of throw out bearing would you guys reccomend?
I know I have read of problems with the Bates type.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

I would appreciate and suggestions !!

Also, enough can't be said of having my own parts and service manuals.
I already had these on C/D but the books are so much easier to use.
1951 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:32 pm

Take your new pstons also, the rods will new to be honed to the wrist pins.

Regarding the throw out I got one from Jp that failed right away, and went back with an original type. When I took my bad one back to John he told me they had gotten a batch of bad bearings and had the problem solved. He showed me the difference in how easily the new ones turned as opposed to teh faulty ones. If I were putting one in now I would probably try one from Jp, but there is also something to be said for a system that has lasted as many years as the graphite ones have. If you go with an orignal type get one from a dealer. They come impreganted with oil, while the aftermarket ones are dry and don't seem to last near as long.

Regarding the seal, both retainers use the same number seal so the only way to tell is to try a seal. They should fit very tight! If not you might want to try using something such as Loctites (if your new seal has a metal case) or windshield sealer ( if the seal is rubber covered). When I had to pull Missy back apart to fix a problem, I used 3M weather strip adhesive, though I don't know how well it will stand up to oil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”