This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New guy 154 wont lift

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

New guy 154 wont lift

Postby Garland Terry » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:12 pm

Just trying this out to see if I am in the system. I have been restoring a 154 for a couple of years. I am having trouble with the lift. It will come up slowly but wont hold up any weight. I have replaced the filter and the fluid is good. The last thing was to disassemble the spool valve and look at the overload valve. It seemed OK and the mechanic at the dealer thought that it looked good. I have replaced all the o-rings so I am going to try that out. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: New guy 154 wont lift

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:22 pm

GT:

Rudi wrote:Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server where you will find a bunch of really useful links.

There is not a lot of info on the Numbered Cubs on the server, but the 154 is covered. Have a look.. it might help. Still looking for more Numbered Cub stuff..

Welcome to the forum family btw.. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:52 am

Is the tranny full of hytran? (hydraulic oil)

Do you have a 3pt hitch plus the mid rocker shaft plus a selector too? (two hydraulic cylinders)Do you have the hoses right on the selector?

Now do you have oil flow from the pump? You need to check that out. Did you rebuild the hydraulic pump? Since the oil level is below the pump i would try priming the pump too. I'm not sure but i've seen dry pumps in other applications not suck the oil up. Just squirt some oil in the pump.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:16 pm

Look for a leaking/damaged seal on the piston in one of the hydraulic cylinders. I am not familiar with the 154 hydraulic set up. However, from your description the problem is quite common for leaking/damaged seal letting the hydraulic fluid bypass the hydraulic cylinder's piston.

If you have two or more cylinders you need to obtain plugs matching the hydraulic hose ends and block off one cylinder at a time. Block off one cylinder then operate the hydraulics. If the symptom persists. Reconnect the first cylinder then block off the hoses to the second cylinder and operate the system.
I have an excuse. CRS.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:45 pm

mine wont go up or down , when i first rehabbed it and got it up an runnin i raised the deck and now all it does is kinda squeel ,i dont know what to think it has fluid when i opened the plug on the back of the trannie it was very bubbly .
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:35 pm

mine wont go up or down , when i first rehabbed it and got it up an runnin i raised the deck and now all it does is kinda squeel ,i dont know what to think it has fluid when i opened the plug on the back of the trannie it was very bubbly .
Check the fluid level in the reservoir. Refill then work the system up and down. Check the fluid level, refill, work the system, refill. Bubbles in hydraulic fluid = low fluid level or sucking air.
I have an excuse. CRS.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:06 pm

i must be sucking air then , because the resivoir seams full ,when i remove the plug on the rear end by the pto it will start to flow out but real bubbly and a lil dirty lookin .
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”