This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Moving a Sickle Mower

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Moving a Sickle Mower

Postby Dennis » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:24 pm

NEVER try to move a sickle mower by grabbing hold of the cutter end and dragging it. A surefire way to lose a finger, when the belt pulley turns as it is dragged and the cutter blade goes into motion -- even a glove won't stop a cutter blade. I almost did this with my first sickle mower several years ago :shock:

Get assistance and the proper equipment to move them.

Dennis,
Safety First

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Re: Moving a Sickle Mower

Postby john2189 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:41 pm

I ussually use the hook on a wrecking bar to drag the mower around.

John
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:05 am

Great tip. I can see how one would have a tendency just to grab the bar and Zip there might go a finger or two. :( :(
Jim
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:14 am

jimbo9745 wrote:Great tip. I can see how one would have a tendency just to grab the bar and Zip there might go a finger or two. :( :(
Jim

Yep Jim, it was one of those times where the better half says "Can you move that thing out of the way a little bit more?" So being a manly man, I grabbed hold of the nearest part (the blade end) and started to drag -- and in the back of my mind I'm remembering my grandfather telling me, "these are dangerous!" When I saw the blade start to move (luckily I knew better than to grab the blade area) I stopped and dropped it immediately and rethought my approach :roll: to moving it.

I'm sure there are other safety issues, such as mounting a sickle mower safely that others can give some tips on.

Dennis

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:55 pm

another thought, when your puttin the bar up, also don't put your fingers inbetween the knives/guards... and if it's bound up on something, do NOT use your hands to get it unclogged, i generally use a piece of grade stake/branch to get it unstuck, sometimes it has a tendency to still have tension on it when it's jammed...

just a few more

Johnny

DaveR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65679
eBay ID: DavdR
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub, have had cub in the past, but years ago.

Postby DaveR » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:48 pm

As a dumb kid (now I am a dumb old man) I was playing on a horsedrawn sickle bar mower left parked in the barn lot. I left the bar down just barely above the ground. Along came a cow that knew nothing about the dangers of mowers and walked through the sickle bar. Of course she caught her hoof in the guards and kept pulling until she got loose. We had to have a vet immediately, or she would have bled to death, he put staples in it and got the blood loss stopped As I remember that old cow had a gauze tied around it until it wore off.
Needless to say I was scared of a sickle bar mower after that. They are like a loaded gun with a hair trigger.

RedBess
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedBess » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:04 am

I don't have a hook to move the sickle bar around, but as a guy living on the coast where commercial fishing happens I always have rope. On my concrete floored barn it is simple to loop (that is Bend to you nautical types) around anywhere on the mower without bending over to do it and tow it or spin it in position. Now if it is on grass I am no better at it than the rest of you.
bust it? you bet I can!
53 w/ sicklebar mower, dirt & snow plows, potato harvester, potato hiller, 3 types of harrows, and a old fashion hayrack all in ellsworth maine

Return to “Safety Forum”