This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ellie is Sick

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Ellie is Sick

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:01 pm

Hey y'all:

Was out this morning weeding the garden. After that was all done, went and started Ellie so as to get me cultivating done. She started well enough, first crank on the starter and away she went.

Only problem is, is that she sounds like she is only running on a cylinder or two :shock: :?:

Checked the fuel (took carb off), realigned the screen. Plenty of fuel to the carb. No air infiltration (checked with me propane bottle). Oil is correct or was, now it was blowing out the dipstick cover :?: :?: :?: Checked the plugs - a fair amount of carbon - cleaned them. Checked the breather tube to the crankcase - clean as a whistle.

Checked coolant - right where it is supposed to be. Oh, no smoke black or white -- clear as can be. But she is missing and has no power. Wants to stall as soon as I lower the cultivators. No power, no get up on go - in fact it got up and went :roll: :?:

No coolant in the oil, so rules out cracked head, block or bad head gasket. Near as I can tell without doing a compression test which is next thing I do after supper, is that I may have a couple sticky valves :?: :?:

Oh, gave Ellie a good slurp of MM also.

Really need Ellie. Any ideas????

Thanks
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:23 pm

Rudi, what does the spark look like? Have you cleaned and dried the distributor cap? It sounds like a weak spark to me. If that doesn't help, give her 2 aspirin and put her on a trailer headed south towards Ohio and we'll give her a place to stay in Bigdog's Home for Wayward Cubs and Antique Farm Equipment Emporium!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:44 pm

Rudi,

Check the timing and point gap. Both will change with over time due to wear or if the locking screw loosens.

Carl

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:57 pm

Rudi,

You didn't use the mag I sent you, did you :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It will only produce spark for 2 cylinders in Canada, 3 cylinders in Ohio, and all 4 in Texas :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:25 pm

BD:

Rudi, what does the spark look like? Have you cleaned and dried the distributor cap? It sounds like a weak spark to me. If that doesn't help, give her 2 aspirin and put her on a trailer headed south towards Ohio and we'll give her a place to stay in Bigdog's Home for Wayward Cubs and Antique Farm Equipment Emporium!

Nope, it shore ain't da magneto. Real good spark. And on the tip about the 2 aspirin -- yeah k, I can do that but put on a trailer for OHIO - :?: :roll: :? :shock: NOT :!: :!: Remember Rudi's Retirement Home for Wayward Cubs has officially been opened and am in desperate need of more Cubs :lol:

BIL said I can use the new crane and the float.... 100 foot reach and enough room on the deck for at least 3 Cubs and 5 more on the float :lol: Soooooo be watchin, a Canuck raiding party sounds awful tempting :lol:

Carl:

Check the timing and point gap. Both will change with over time due to wear or if the locking screw loosens.

Nope, checked all that. Would have been an easy fix though.

Donny, nah didn't use it yet. Still looking for a rotor. Guess I am gonna have to order one! Got the retainer though :)

Ok, will clear up the suspense. Another Cub buddy (who also happens to have 2 very very nice Allis G's, which is probably the only tractor that is non-IH that I really would like to have :!: :oops: :oops: I know, I know) was over tonight and confirmed what I suspected after ruling out the valves.

Ellie is running on only 2 cylinders. I feared the worst - a cracked head or possibly a cracked block. :cry: But I was in luck. We checked the coolant level as we could smell small amounts of burned glycol, and there was no telltale bubbles which would indicate a cracked head. Have to do the compression test in the morning, but betting dollars to donuts it is a blown head gasket.

Got cylinders 1 & 4, seems 2 and 3 are the ones with no compression. We could tell no compression in those 2 cylinders cause when we took the plug wire off of #4 plug, she almost died. When we did the same for plugs #2 & 3, no change. Ergo - no compression - ergo blown gasket.

Sound right?

Will know whether or not she gets fixed Saturday. Gotta see if Babineau has the gasket or if Arbings in Sussex does. Hope one of them has it!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:37 pm

Rudi
If you have another dist. cap switch it and rule a cracked cap or carbon tracking or moisture . Had it happen once and the cap was bad.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:43 pm

Ralph:

Slready ruled it out as there is a solid spark on all 4 plugs. But, to be on the safe side, I think I might just swap out the cap and just be sure.

rocketman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rocketman » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:49 pm

Rudi,

Remember to always check the little things first.

You confirmed that it is cylinders 2 and 3 that are not working but you have not yet confirmed that the cause is a head gasket. You're on the right path, do a compression check and remember to remove all of the plugs before you take readings on any one cylinder.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:53 pm

Rudi, you can tell if you have lost compression by hand cranking Ellie Mae. The thing that keeps wrrying me is you said it was blowing oil out the filler. Thant makes me wonder about broken rings or a holed piston, maybe a cracked block since you said #2 and 3 weren't pulling load..
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:03 pm

John:

K, will definitely check the little stuff before I take the head off. I am hoping that maybe there was something I missed that will be easier and les expensive. That would be a plus!

And

John:

God I hope not :!: I think I may have put a little too much oil in as I topped it up. I hope that is all it was. When we started it up after supper, the oil was not reappearing which bodes well. Also, when I put my hand above the exhaust, I can actually feel the misses as she is going through the firing order and hear it clear as a bell as well.

As stated before, I have really good spark. Yup, there was carbon on the plugs, but not a whole lot more than I have come to expect when she doesn't get used too often. I have been gone a lot lately, and haven't had much time to get seat time.

Thing is, she ran okay the other day, was her old self. I noticed yesterday when I moved her places that she didn't sound all that good, but didn't have the time to investigate more. Today, Em wanted me to cultivate, which is what necessitated me starting her up.

Sure hope it is just the head gasket! Claude says about 1 to 2 hours and she should be running properly again. He is pretty darn positive that it is a blown gasket. Lets hope he is right.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:54 pm

Rudi,

Before you even remove the hood, pull the plugs. Then you can run a very crude compression test by simply holding a finger or thumb over each hole while cranking. If the head gasket is blown it will be obvious that the two center cylinders have less compression... and if not you should look elsewhere. Like maybe under the side cover.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:35 am

George:

Will do. I am beginning to think maybe I might be lucky!

Will keep every one posted on progress.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:58 pm

Hey Rudi,

It wasn't me! :lol:

Seriously though, we are all back safe and sound since Monday nite. Been nothing but busy since. You think you had to grass to cut, I was gone 3 weeks! Poor little Briggs had quite a workout.
Again, it was good to meet you and yours out there. Only thing is I forgot to swing by Sussex and see Alton and David. Maybe next time.

Cheers.
Just Do It !

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:15 pm

After i checked the compression, either by thumb as George suggested or by guage, i would remove the side cover and look for stuck valves. you might be able to pop them free thru the side cover. an aerosol oil product into the carb for valve lube might get them going. makes for a great smoke show, but it might put you back in business.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:19 pm

Rudi,
Replace the plugs I bet you will find them bad.
Just because they fire out of the eng. it takes more to fire them under
compresion.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”