This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall B Engine ?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Farmall B Engine ?

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am

I have read in the Farmall A and B service manual and in Guy Fay's book Farmall Letter Series that the valve seats in the A and B should not be replaced with inserts. Why :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:24 pm

I would guess because of the inherent uneven cooling of the thermo-siphon cooling, that it would be posible for the inserts to drop out of the head and damage the piston. That happened to my father with a 434 IH many years ago. The mech said to lat it idle for a few minutes after hard work so the head could cool evenly. Course it had a water pump too. :idea:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:33 am

I had the head on my '45 B farmall totally re-worked; new valves, valve guides, valve springs, valve seats, plained, magna-fluxed...the works. I hope I have no trouble. :roll:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:21 pm

I posted your question on the Red Power Magazine forum (no replies), and on the Farmall section of YTMAG. Got 3 replies on YTMAG from people that had installed vlave seats in A or B, and had not had any problems.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:57 pm

Thanks, John. It really makes no sense why they could not be replaced. Maybe modern technology has outrun the problem and everyone has forgotten why it would not work at first. :roll:

How is my step-cub doing :?:

Greg Norman

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”