This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO Problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO Problem

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:08 pm

I just got around to attaching the Mott mower under Rusty to his PTO shaft yesterday. :D Started him up and noted a whining noise and the PTO will not stay engaged. :? I removed the tension from the drive belt and the whining stops. :? :? I am guessing something is out of alignment. I completely went through the transmission and replaced ALL the bearings. Anyone got any ideas :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:15 pm

Bud,

It sounds like the PTO bearing may have some play somplace. If you replaced that bearing then it could be in the bearing socket. I would also check the play in the spline shaft bushing.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:28 pm

CB, is there a lot of end-play in the pto shaft? Can you tell how much engagement there is of the pto collar?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:40 pm

Bud, while you were doing your other work, did you check or replace the pto pilot bushing in the end of the transmission shaft, and also check the roundness and diameter of the pto shaft where it goes into the bushing?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:47 pm

Do you have the pto shaft with the bearing retainer clip or is your bearing staked to the shaft? If it is the older pto shaft, the bearing may have slipped allowing the pto shaft to move in & out.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:18 pm

I did replace the PTO bearing and the bushing in the transmission shaft. The old bearing was staked to the shaft.....I had the new bearing tack-welded to the shaft so it would not move. The welding did not hurt the bearing...or did it :?: The end of the PTO shaft that goes into the transmission shaft had at one time been hit with a hammer and someone ground a bevel back to it. It looked OK, so I put it back in...maybe it's not OK:?: There is some back and forth and up and down play in the shaft. The noise changes as I move the shaft up and down but not when I move it back and forth. :? I cannot tell how much engagemnet is taking place at the collar. :oops:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:29 pm

Bud,

The shaft should have very little if any up and down play. Looking at the PTO pulley try and tilt the botom of the pulley toward the tractor and the top away, and vice versa. This will check if the spline bushing has any play.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:33 pm

To see how far the collar is engaging, with tractor off, move the lever toward the engage position while slowly turning the pto by hand. It should start to engage between halfway and two thirds of the way back.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”