This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Any Flower Gardeners Out There ??

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Any Flower Gardeners Out There ??

Postby magnumpi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:11 pm

I'm looking for an opinion based on first hand knowledge about a perennial grower in MO named Gilbert Wild & Sons. They grow primarily daylilies and hostas and their prices are great, but their feedback on another gardening site is less than stellar. Good or bad - I'd love to hear it. (this is my way to stay warm - think yard work) Craig

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:16 pm

What is the problem the gardeners have with that company?
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:45 pm

I get my stuff from buddies of mine .I spilt their hostas and lillies for no charge.The next year they are back bigger and better.I don't pay for them!!!Try to find someone that will split their plants.I do its cheeper I find plants I want And I help them out!!i like the royal hosta's with the white flowers and big leaves hard to find but Ihave done a good job up to now!!!!My my new house get some cheep!!!!Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Gil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gil » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:27 am

Hey Magnum,
In my spare time :roll: I've been building up a little "back yard nursery" and have good collection of hostas, daylilies along with lots of other "stuff". Last spring I happened across a lady who sells incredible Hostas on eBay. I think her store name is Hostas by Beth ? When I first bought some from her I thought she had made a mistake and sent me too many. Very healthy plants many of which she sold as a single plant were all ready to split into several really nice Hostas.
I think she said she had around 20,000 hostas, about every variety there is I think. And she does an excellent job packing and shipping too. She also wholesales to some local garden centers. I've got her email address if you're interested.
Gil....

Wait a minute !! I've got several hundred of her hostas that will be loaded with youngsters this spring. Let me know if you're interested in some :oops:

Gil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gil » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:29 am

Oh, almost forgot. About the grower in MO, with a first name of Gilbert, he must be a pretty decent guy :twisted:

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:49 pm

Craig, sent you a PM.

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:43 pm

Gil: Thanks for the offer - I may just do that. Unfortunately, hosta to a deer is like a salad bar to Fat Albert so I need to keep them close to the house. We'll talk - thanks again for the offer. As for our pal Gil, unfortunately it seems he's the runt of the litter. There's a big gardening site called Dave;s Garden and on there is a feedback forum. About 1/3rd of his total feedbacks are negative, the rub is the prices are really cheap. I guess I know why. C
PS: Carl: The majority of complaits deal with misrepresentation of product (I ordered red, got blue), poor quality of bare root plants, not honoring warranty - customer service issues.

Gil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gil » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:21 am

Craig,
Are you sure it's Gilbert and not one of the "and sons" causing the problem?? I've just never heard of a bad Gilbert before :wink:
Yea, those !@#$ oversized rodents just love the Hosta. I do have a couple of real nice Deer resistant varieties if you're interested.
They were kinda of expensive though and the shipping charges might be a problem. It's not so much the cost of Hosta as it is the 8' fence that's required to keep the resistance in. :twisted:

When do you start planting out there anyway - July??

Gil....

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:48 am

Gil: You're correct - the nursery was bought out about 20 yrs ago by a guy named Greg Jones so your reputation is intact (I seem to remember a henchman of Jesse James named Gil,but I'll let it slide). This would be a prety good test for deer resistent hosta here. I end up spraying them with own "garlic-laced" concoction which limits the damage to nil, but you've gotta start educating them real early in the process - like when they're about an inch high !! Then you supplement it with a dose or two of lead .......................as in bang bang !! The shipping isn't bad when you use a priority box. I can plant safely in mid May usually. C

Gil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Gil » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:33 am

I thought Jesse and his crew were good guys?? Na, maybe that was Robin Hood?? CRS again...........
LOL, yup the shipping for the hostas is not bad, it's the 8' fence that makes them Deer resistant that will raise the price. :twisted:

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”