This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

i knew it when I bought it but.....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Straylight
10+ Years
10+ Years

i knew it when I bought it but.....

Postby Straylight » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:08 pm

It ( 1951 cub ) smoked when I bought itbut I figured I would try it for a while. Then I got a good deal on a Woods 59. Put it on to make sure parts were all there and that it would fit and gave it a try. Oh boy.... not enough power to spin blades up to speed in neutral!. Took a compression test ( sort of like I had been avoiding cause I didn't to know, you know , like going to the dentist) -- last cyl was 60 lbs, so I just stopped there.

Question is, do I pull the head and see if I can just get by for a year or two with pistons and new rings or do I snow plow with it for as long as I can and rebuild the whole engine next summer?

Straylight

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:15 pm

Take a reading on all cylinders, then squirt about 2 teaspoons of oil in each one and take them again. If you have a noticeable increase the rings/cylinders are worn. If no increase, vavles are probably at fault. As to whether you can get by with just rings for a while is hard to say with out measuring the cylinder wall wear. They definitly won't hurt.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”