This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter spins, but won't engage

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Holes49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Starter spins, but won't engage

Postby Holes49 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:09 am

My 49 Cub has been converted to 12 V. The starter spins, but won't engage. does this mean rebuild time ?
Is anything going to fly away when I take this off ?
Yeah...but think how fast I'll be able to do it the 2nd time !!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:38 am

Nothing will fly away when you take the starter off. If you are lucky the cause might be just a dirty bendix action. Make sure the gear on the starter slides easily on the shaft. Also clean the shaft & gear good and leave it dry, Dont put any kind of lubricant on it. I clean mine with carb-cleaner.
Then came Bronson

Holes49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Holes49 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:45 pm

Thanks johnbron that got me out of a pinch and got the grass cut. Apparantly my starter drive iwas broken and had jammed the gear fropm going forward. It this starter drive something a rebuilder would be able to get or by any chance can I service it myself.

John

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:53 pm

Any rebuilder, and most "real" auto parts stores can get them or may even have them in stock. There is a right and left hand model, so be sure you get the correct one. I think the one for the cub is the left hand one, but I'm not sure. The difference is the spiral in the shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Holes49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Holes49 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:05 pm

Thanks
I assume right-side means right-side when I'm sitting on the seat. What are they like to change, I assume I pull the back (front of tractor) off the starter and go from there.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:34 pm

John:

It is well described in the GSS-1411. Seems like a simple job. Gordon did it on Saturday and said it only took a couple of minutes.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:36 pm

Holes49 wrote:Thanks
I assume right-side means right-side when I'm sitting on the seat. What are they like to change, I assume I pull the back (front of tractor) off the starter and go from there.
Right or left refers to which way the starter shaft spins when you try to start the tractor. Different model/brands of tractors used the same drive, but some of their starters spun the opposite direction. If you get one that is designed for the wrong direction it won't run the gear out to engage the flywheel.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cdn Country Bumkin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: L8G2J3

Postby Cdn Country Bumkin » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:09 am

John
That tractor is changed over to 12 V, but the starter is still 6 V,not that it makes any difference to your problem, just for your knowledge. Thats why it spins over so fast, and you should never spin it for long periods of time. Have you done anything to the Cub or is it still the same as when you bought it.
Archie
Life is a game we are all going to lose, so we may as well have fun playing

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:05 pm

If it's anything like Dad's old M on 12V, it won't start unless you stop cranking :)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:30 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:If it's anything like Dad's old M on 12V, it won't start unless you stop cranking :)

My '49 Cub was converted before I got it. It starts better now that I have converted it back to 6 volts. Of course, I had to fix the starter to get it to crank on 6 volts. It was either destroyed by the 12 volts or maybe that was what it needed before it was converted, probably some of both.

If it cranks too fast, the magneto impulse doesn't work right.

Return to “Farmall Cub”