This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO Noise

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO Noise

Postby Harold R » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:23 am

On my '50 model, I've noticed a noise when the clutch pedal is released, coming from the PTO when it is not engaged. I can see a "wobble" in the pulley, even though it's not turning. The PTO operates normally and the tranny is good. I mowed yesterday for over an hour, all was well except for the noise. It seems that the input shaft my have a slight bend in it where it couples to the PTO shaft. Is this possible? Transmission has no noise in any gear, shifts good. This thing has a pully assembly that mounts to the PTO houseing, not familiar with it either, but I like the way it unclutters the back of the tractor.
HR

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:13 am

there is a pilot bushing in the end of the transmission shaft that the pto rides in. It probably needs replacing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Tim-Devery
10+ Years
10+ Years

PTO Noise

Postby Tim-Devery » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:30 am

I just replaced my bushing in the end of the shaft also.
You have to split the tractor to do this. You might as well replace the two seals on either end of the transmission as well. I believe I spent around $20 on parts. Took around three hr's to do the work.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:21 pm

I used to have a pto shaft that was out of round and would wear out a bushing on a regular basis. I learned to change them through the pto cover. I used a long drill bit in a rechargeable drill to drill the remains of the old one out and a long bolt with a nut to push the new one in. Tried pushing one in using just the pto shaft once, but it slipped up the sholder some and split.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:06 am

John,
Do you remember the size drill you used? I like your technique better than the prospect of splitting the tractor, especially when there's no other noises or leaks. I'm still not sure that's the problem, but it's where I'll start.
HR

LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

pto noise

Postby LARRY BALL » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:45 pm

If you need a bushing or a shaft.New parts are available through Wenger's of Myerstown. I just finished rebuilding my pto a few weeks ago. When you get the new bushing,( fit it to a snug-fit-diameter bolt) and thread it into the old bushing, tapping a little as you go. It will virtualy extract the bushing as you screw the bolt in with a ratchet. Using a shorter bolt( that has a flat washer next to the head), and one that fits loosely into the new bushing. Gently tap the new bushing in until it seats!
Don't forget and replace with 90 wt. gear oil. It makes quite a difference in gear noise and lubrication. Good luck :lol: :lol: :lol:
LARRY BALL

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:54 pm

HR, if there is enough of the bushing left for Larry's system to work, that is a better way to do it since you won't have to worry about catching the cuttings. If it's like mine was and there is only part of the bushing left use a 7/16 drill bit. You will need either a long bit or an extension holder for it.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:00 pm

Thanks Larry and John. Probably will be Thursday or Fri. before I take a look. I'll let you know what I find.
HR

Return to “Farmall Cub”