This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Leaking Gear Lube

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Big Jim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Leaking Gear Lube

Postby Big Jim » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:00 am

I just purchased a '48 Cub, and I tried to fill the tranmission with 90w lube, but it seems to leak out of the rear right-hand side by the wheel. It looks like there is a shaft with splines on it, and that is where the lube is leaking. It may be called the Rear Final Drive Housing. On the left hand side, there is a round cover/cap, but there is not a cover/cap on the right side. What is this for, what is it called and does it need a new seal or cap? Thanks!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:04 am

If you were trying to fill the transmission and oil is leaking at the final drive housing, the seal in the differential bearing retainer is at fault. How much oil did you put in the transmission :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:33 am

BigJim, as Bud said, I suspect you have badly overfilled your transmission. It only requires 3 1/2 pints. There is a level check plug low on the left side about even with the gear shift. You probably also have a leaky seal where the oil was leaking.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Big Jim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Big Jim » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:57 am

Thanks for the information. Is there a cover/cap that is supposed to go over the shaft/axel? It is the axel that the right rear wheel is attached to, on the inside. Should it look the same as the left side as there is a cover/cap over that one? Thanks!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:10 am

The right side axle stub is supposed to be exposed. It is an attachment point for a drive gear used with seeders / side dressers.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”