This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
linhorst99
10+ Years
10+ Years

PTO problem

Postby linhorst99 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:24 am

After I hit a bowling ball sized rock with my mower, the PTO has a loud grinding noise on my '52 Cub. It still goes into gear and turns, but it sounds like a bearing or gear is ruined. How do I approach the repair, and where would be a place to get parts? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, folks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:32 pm

I would pull the PTO drive out of the differential case and look at the inside for any dammage. You may have a problem with the drive shaft spline that couples to the sliding yoke to drive the PTO.

Rudi's web site Cleancomputes.com has reference material as well as pictures.

There are a number of places to buy parts: Wengers, J.P's tractor, Look at site sponsors for others.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby (CUB HUT) » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:45 pm

Oscar Meier--Are you going to be at Danville show this weekend ? If so look me up. DAVE--- Will have two of my CUBS at show.
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:49 pm

linhorst, are you sure the noise is coming from the pto and not the mower deck? If sure it's the pto check the pulley that it isn't loose on the shaft. Can you mow with it? Your noise description sounds like the splines slipping wher ethe pto collar slides over the transmission shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

linhorst99
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby linhorst99 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. The damage is too severe to use the mower. Oscar, could you give me more info on how to find Rudy's web site?
Thanks again.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:45 am

Here's the link to Rudi's site:
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/index.html
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:12 am

Cub Hut:

We went by the Fair grounds this morning and it looks like a good show - I see that it's featuring Fords & Fordsons - at least a 100 tractors there this morning.

My son has sports most of the day Saturday - we should be able to stop by later in the afternoon. We'll look for your Cubs.

Oscar.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:43 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:linhorst, are you sure the noise is coming from the pto and not the mower deck? If sure it's the pto check the pulley that it isn't loose on the shaft. Can you mow with it? Your noise description sounds like the splines slipping wher ethe pto collar slides over the transmission shaft.

Another possibility, if the mower has an overrunning clutch, it may have broken up. If so, the belt would be turning normally.

linhorst99
10+ Years
10+ Years

RE:

Postby linhorst99 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:40 am

I lucked out. The hub in the pulley at the end of the PTO shaft had worn out. The metal was softer than the shaft and there was no damage to the PTO. I found an IH dealer locally and was able to order the hub. Now all I have to do is wait for the part to come in, sit in the yard with a cold one, watch the grass grow, and play my banjo till the neighbor's dogs howl.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Re: RE:

Postby johnbron » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:09 am

linhorst99 wrote:I lucked out. The hub in the pulley at the end of the PTO shaft had worn out.
Now all I have to do is wait for the part to come in, sit in the yard with a cold one, watch the grass grow, and play my banjo till the neighbor's dogs howl.

Well that sounds like a neat fixit plan to me. Its always better to make the neighbors dog howl than to hear your Cub a`howlin.
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”