This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throw out Bearing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Throw out Bearing

Postby RedNed » Sun May 30, 2004 10:04 pm

Here's a question, When you grease the throw out bearing, what are you greasing. Does the graphite block rotate? I took my old one apart and it did not look like it moves?Just a channel groove inside. So does it move?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun May 30, 2004 10:18 pm

No it does't move. The grease is slowly absorbed into the graphite to provide lubrication.
I know many people don't agree, but I have come to put a very thin coating of grease on the face when I first put in a new one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Sun May 30, 2004 10:20 pm

The carbon block doesn't move, but you are impregnating it with grease, thus reducing friction and wear on both the throw out bearing and the Pplate fingers. :wink:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

bscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Throw out bearing

Postby bscott » Sun May 30, 2004 10:21 pm

No, the graphite block doesn't rotate. When greasing, the oil portion of the grease permeates and coats the front of the graphite. The wax portion of the grease gets pushed out the top of the holder.
I replaced the original in one of my Cubs with the ball bearing one from Bates, but replaced the one on the other Cub with an OEM graphite one. I think I prefer the graphite one as it is smoother and quieter. Besides the graphite ones have worked for 50+ years.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun May 30, 2004 11:16 pm

bscott mentioned :arrow: The oil portion of the grease permeates and coats the front of the graphite. The wax portion of the grease gets pushed out the top of the holder.
Some of these new designer greases have some pretty weird mixtures in them for different applications. Is there any grease types that should not be used for fear that they can plug the pores in the graphite?.

Whats the favorite grease of you T-O bearing experts?.
Then came Bronson

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Mon May 31, 2004 9:43 pm

Thanks gents, was wondering how that works. My old block was not that pourous.but was flaking. chipped and worn. scratch it with my finger nail.

Return to “Farmall Cub”