This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Woods Belly mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jimrazorback
10+ Years
10+ Years

Woods Belly mower

Postby jimrazorback » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:42 am

Hey Guys I need a photo of a belly mounted Woods mower 42C-4 or 42C-6 mounted on a 1950 Cub. Rockshaft hook-up with chain. I have a mounting bar across the back that has a tow pin in the middle. My hook-up has 1 belt driven pully on the mower, 1 on the pto and 2 on the mounting bar, total of 4. This design is shown mounted on the low boy cubs, but said it was also mounted on the Farmall Cub also. Do any of you have an upclose rear shot of the set-up. It also shows a cub draw bar mounted underneath the mounting bar. This mower mount is square, the ones shown in the manual is round and no tow pintle in the center. It may be man made also, but it looks like the real thing.---Jim

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:07 am

Jim I think this is the type Woods you have. Right?

http://photos.cubfest.com/albums/userpi ... ium%29.jpg

http://photos.cubfest.com/albums/userpi ... ium%29.jpg

I recently purchased this Cub and mower deck and the deck has been modified by the PO, note no skids, they were replaced by wheels on the front of the deck. It operates really well. This is the brush hog type mowing deck. Pete

jimrazorback
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jimrazorback » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:03 am

Thanks Guys---both of you have basically the same mower as I do. My mower is more closer to Pete,s, but one question Pete. When you removed the skids were they mounted to the axle or hub area or to the mounting bar its-self. Cub 47 shows his mounting to the bar, but mine mounts to the hub area, I guess above the cub draw bar. Mine has 1 bolt holding the skids on. My mower is touch control hydraulic,s, so when I raise it only the front comes up. There is a chain that holds mine up. The wheels that shows on Pete,s appear to be a self-adjusting slide system as you raise and lower the mower. I need wheels on mine due to the uneven terrain where I live, it will be a constant raising and lowering deal. If my is to low the the mower deck will get hung up. Where do I get these type of wheels. The Woods mounting bar appears to be round in shape, mine is square and has a pintle mounted right in the center bolted on, this make be man made not sure. I figure the tow pintle was for towing something, its just like a threaded eye bolt inserted thru the bar. Pete did the skids on yours have 1 bolt or 2 bolts holding it on and was it mounted to the hub area in the location of the draw bar. The prior owner just did a sloppy job of fixing the mower. It appears to be a finishing mower it cuts close to the ground like a regular mower, but loses power on the hills if you get too close. I am glad that it was mentioned that the cubs rear end make a noise when moving and using the touch control hydraulic,s. There is no clanking noises, like metal on metal-- just a roar like sound. When I drain and refill it some of that will stop.----Thanks Guys--You have eased my mind a bit. Today I am going to look at another cub for my wife, maybe a low boy for her to mow, the cubs may scare her on my sloping terrain due to the height of the tractor, but I am also going to extend the wheels anyway. Myself I fell in love with the cubs. Thanks Again---Jim

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:37 am

Wonder if maybe you have an IH C-2 rather than a Woods. Sorry this image isn't the best.

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:49 am

Jim Becker, (lot of Jim's here) you may be right on your assumption.

Jim, Razorback, the previous owner had already made all the changes to the deck before I saw and bought it. I suspect the wheels are from some type of John Deere mower. He put the wheels on for the same reason you state of scalping the lawn in high places and says it works like a charm. I haven't had much grass to cut yet, having only had the Cub during winter months so far. Pete

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:49 am

Pete1941 wrote:I recently purchased this Cub and mower deck and the deck has been modified by the PO, note no skids, they were replaced by wheels on the front of the deck. It operates really well. This is the brush hog type mowing deck. Pete

Pete,

Do the casters and front wheels interfere with each other when backing out of a tight place?

That's a problem I had with the original setup for the Woods L-306 on one of my Fords until I relocated one caster/front wheel.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:54 am

George, the camera angle does make it appear that it would be a problem. However, if you look at the wheel on the other side, you can see that there is quite a bite of room and they will turn freely all the way around. I haven't had it long enough yet to do some serious mowing, but in the little bit that I have done, it works great. Pete

jimrazorback
10+ Years
10+ Years

Scouting Report

Postby jimrazorback » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Today I went shopping and came home empty, no Farmalls the 3, I saw were junk, so I walked, but I did see a stable of about 25 cubs and IH that some had Woods mowers on them. The 2 bars that runs across the mower deck-- on some they were hooked to a mounting bracket in the middle of the deck and than ran back to the mower draw bar that had the place for the bars to hook to hanging down brackets on the bottom of the bar. Like cub 47,s design. The bars or runners on my deck-- hook to the hub where the Farmall draw bar should hook. In the morning I am going to take the drawings and crawl under it to see exactly how it is hooked up. I think it is hooked up wrong anyway. My mower when you raise it, all that raises is the front part, the rear is anchored to hub housing.----I will do some more research to make sure, but you guys got me on the right track anyway. I will also check the IH mower decks.----Thanks Guys---Jim

P.S. Be on the lookout for Farmall Disc in my area