This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow Blower ??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dirt devil
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 04461
Skype Name: dirtdevil919
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1963 Farmall Cub
1965 IH Cub Lo Boy
1964 Cub Cadet 100
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Snow Blower ??

Postby dirt devil » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:20 pm

Well after cleaning up with Dad's rear mounted blower on the green thing I am convinced that I need one for next year. We got 12 or so inches Sunday night Monday morning and I knew that I would be all night plowing with the Cub :x and the truck just can't throw it over the 7+ foot :shock: snowbanks I made with it from the weekend storm. I played with the blower a little after we cleaned up on Sunday and thought to ourselves we should have used this first and I would not have this mess. :roll: So the hunt begins. a couple of questions first.

You see a few MTD blowers like Rick built in the papers and e-bay. I am wondering how durable they are? Most are 42" wide I would like to get a min. of 48". SO Rick (if your reading this) if I made some "wings" to get the 48" out of a 42" would it over feed the blower? I really need the width due to the despeeder and with that I should have a 54" as I just barley fit under that. I would have to measure to be exact. I know that this is light ennough that a mod. plow frame can lift it no problem. Plus with the right pulley combo I can throw the snow to beet #@ll and back.

Then I was thinking mabey the snow blower from the numbered series but these are only a single stage right? So that might not throw the snow and far as I would like. But was wondering how heavy it is and if the TC could lift it? It would be plenty wide enough.

Then when I win the powerball I can buy a Bercomac 54" minus motor for $2500 54" model or for $4700 I can get it with a 23 HP Vanguard engine. And still have to fab a mounting system. But it does come with elc chute, defector, and clutch :D :shock: .

But at that price I would seriously look at a numbered Cub with a blower, CAB, mower, and tiller which is $3000.

Since funds just aren't rolling in at the moment I am looking to gather pieces between now and next winter so it will only hurt in small amounts. :D

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Dave
Dave

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Devil I dont know if this is any help. There was a 48in. blower off a Lo-Boy for sale with the tractor. The guy said he would sell the blower seperate fro $800. If you remember where you picked up the flail mower in Brownfield at my Kids house its about 3 miles south on Rt. 113. Havent been up there in a couple months but Buzzard Wing may have better info. I think it was a Danco blower. Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Blower

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:35 pm

Dave
I have a green and yellow with a single stage 48'' model 49. It seems to me that this type thrower could be modified to work on a cub with some fabrication wgt is only around 200 lbs. I am pretty sure you have the know how to make something like that work.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi Dave. The MTD's are pretty heavy duty, but nothing compaired to the big International blower like this one I bought
It's a 50" and has those wings(about 3" on a side) you're talking about. Yes, it is only a single stage, but any pictures you see shows snow flying far across the drives. I'm going to try it on my cub, so guess we can help each other out with ideas. I'm not sure how much it weighs, but it's alot heavier than the MTD. I think the MTD is compairable in weight to the snow blade setup. This International feels like it's almost twice as heavy, so we'll see how the T/C lifts it when I'm done.

I would think an MTD with wings, along with your despeeder, should work just fine. You'll definetly want some sort of cab for protection. How's that saying go??? "Don't blow snow into the wind" :D :D

Rick

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:23 pm

Rick I was wondering what ever happened to that blower you had a t George's last year
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

dirt devil
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1963 Farmall Cub
1965 IH Cub Lo Boy
1964 Cub Cadet 100
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Postby dirt devil » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Frank, I thought that one was sold? Think Larry said something about it, not 100% though. I am now watching the Uncle henry's and there are a couple in past issues w/tractors in there. Maybe I can seperate!!

Joe, I saw one of these the other day at work. My boss's cousin had it sent there and I was very interested needless to say it was not long before it was loaded into his truck :shock: If the price was right!! I would be willing to try it.

Rick, is your blower 56" OD w/wings? If so that is the width I need. Had to go and find the cat in the garage (another story but I found him :D ) and while I was in there I measured the OD of the tires and I am a very strong 55" not including the weights sticking out. :shock:

Something that I also contemplate is the price difference. I can get a MTD for a couple hundred and most IH blowers that I have seen are at least five hundred. Is it worth the extra money? But then if I wait things will come (that is what happened when I got the despeeder and the tiller :shock:)

Thanks for the replys Dave
Dave

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi Bill. This set-up belongs to George Hibbs(IH48)Image I did some horse tradin' with

George. He ended up with my old snow cab, and I installed the blower for him on his '48. I plan to use the Danco International blower and a Curtis Steel/Glass Cab on mine, soon as I find more time :shock:

Rick

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:47 pm

OK Thanks for the story.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Geeze, I sold a Gravely LI with a snowblower last year for $150.... lots of work to run one, but they sure do throw the snow. If I got into gear I would have the new one mounted on the L8...

I don't know about the one in Brownfield, but I think the blower was left. That was months ago.

They are hard to find, but there is a 48" snowblower for a Gravely rider. In my opinion a better setup than a number Lo Boy because they have a front PTO so you don't need all that rigging to get power to the front. They are rear engine too, so that may help with traction.
http://www.stevenchalmers.com/Gravely/RS/RS_12_816.jpg
Oh yeah they are stylish too...!
http://www.gravely.com/admin/images/ima ... dt1640.jpg

I will have to ask my friend how he likes his McKee on a 154. I think he may have used it this year.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:12 pm

Dave:

To my mind there are 3 types of snow tossing machines:

1. Humm Beans -- dat would be you, me and everyone else
2. Snow Throwers : Single Stage Augers only no Impellers
3. Snow Blowers: Dual Stage with both Augers and Impellers

Snow Throwers take a lot of power to move a little snow a short distance.
Snow Blowers take a little bit of power to move a lot of snow a heck of a long way.

The Blower that Rick used for George's Cub, well that is a mean machine and will toss snow a fair distance. It is a 2 stage. The IH 50 Snow Thrower or IH 3150 is a Snow Thrower. I have the Parts Manual for it. It won't toss snow as far as the Dual Stage varieties. Will it toss it, probably.. and knowing Rick, it will move it some. But again IH 50's are few and far between and almost as expensive as an MTD style 2 stage at 52 inches.

This is my thoughts...

1. Grab two 26" or better 2 stage snow blower cages from the transmission housing forward -- only Cages and gearing are needed. Motive parts are NOT.

2. Weld frame to mount on Cub.
3. Mount 2 cages side by side so that the outside edge of each cage - 1 LH and 1 RH edge are set to measure 52" in between.
4. Fabricate a wedge shield to fill gap between 2 cages.
5. Fabricate pulley setup to run both cages in tandem from 1 10-15 HP B&S engine.
6. Fabricate Chute Rotator arm to control both chutes -- either eject to same side or eject opposing sides - you choose.
7. Mount
8. Start up blow lots of snow, have tons of fun. :idea: :big smile:

That is what I am going to try to do. I have located 2 - 2 stage cages and as soon as we can get them dug out from the humongeous amount of snow we have here, I may get on that project.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:13 am

Dave,

I've never used a Danco/Loboy setup, but I have used the single stage blowers made for the Cub Cadets. I had one on a 127 (12 hp) and it was amazing. All things being equal, the two-stage is better, but I think if you find a single-stage for the right price, don't be afraid of it. As long as you can gear down, you'll be fine. I'm assuming "despeeder" is some sort of gear reduction device? That would be a necessity.

I saw that unit Larry was talking about in Brownfield, but that was last summer. More recently, I'm sure you've seen the one in Lewiston (I posted about it), could still be available. He says he WON'T separate, I believe.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:54 am

Two stage is almost a necessity unless your snow is always powdery or only a few inches deep. I prefer the manuverability of a walk-behind unit unless there is a long road to clear. Larry is absolutely correct, Gravely made heavy duty blowers that will shoot snow like water from a fire hose. They are fairly easy to find with widths ranging from 26" to 48" and are often sold seperate from the tractor.

Image Image

"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Rudi wrote:This is my thoughts...

1. Grab two 26" or better 2 stage snow blower . . .

Sounds like you have "Big Louie" Da Yooper snow blower in mind.

dirt devil
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1963 Farmall Cub
1965 IH Cub Lo Boy
1964 Cub Cadet 100
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Postby dirt devil » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:40 pm

Larry and Carl guess what just showed up on e-bay!!! :D A nice 48" tractor model snow blower and right now the price is right :shock: Anyone near Altamont, NY. :D If it stays reasonable I'll have it.

Dave
Dave

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Dave, if the snow gets really deep, you could always build one of these :shock: Image

Rick

Return to “Farmall Cub”