This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

After a Cub? . . . just thinking

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

After a Cub? . . . just thinking

Postby Paul_NJ » Tue May 25, 2004 10:01 pm

I purchased my first “tractor project”, a 51 Cub, two years ago and am finally at the “paint and put the parts back together” stage. Now infected with the obsession (I've learned) that is shared by many others on this web site, I’m already considering a next project. While I’m definitely committed to restore another Farmall of similar vintage, I’ve been sort of intrigued looking at C’s, H’s, M’s. . . and I’d particularly like to incorporate a front end loader to eventually use.

I’d really like to hear the experiences of others who have proceeded from a Cub restoration to a larger Farmall. What is it like? How does it compare? The scale of the Cub is really convenient sizewise - I can imagine there are a lot of differences, and difficulties, moving bigger. And I can’t imagine I could have gotten this first project done without you folks on this web site. Is there anything like this site for other Farmall models?

Would appreciate any experiences and comments. I'm not ready to start anytime soon, but then again you never know . . .
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

the next project

Postby countershaft » Tue May 25, 2004 10:34 pm

When I finished with restoring my "58 Cub, I wanted something a little larger, but not too large. So, I bought (at an Auction) a Farmall Super A and went the route again. Too my pleasure , I selected the right follow up. They make a nice pair. The Cub cuts grass and the SA plows snow and the garden .

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed May 26, 2004 9:00 am

Larger tractors ususally means bigger, bulkier parts to handle. The restoration process is the same. If you are equipped to handle the larger tractors then the satisfaction will be as great. You could do as you mentioned and work your way up with slightly larger tractors each time. From the cub to an A or B, then to a C and then an H and finally an M.
One thing to keep in mind is that some of the larger tractors are actually cheaper to buy and restore since they are plentiful. They are also usually too small or do not have enough features such as live power which makes them undesireable for today's farming operations and they are too big for the hobby mechanic to use in his half-acre garden. So I guess the best thing to do is to find one you like and have at it!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed May 26, 2004 9:32 am

I have a 1945 B Farmall I am currently "re-newing" and I have found alot of "common ground" between it and a cub. In my opinion, the B is a little easier to work on. Take a look at the left side (carb side) of a cub and compare it to the same side on the B (the A is the same, too). All the components on the cub are "tightly packed" together and on the A and the B they are spread out more. Bigger is heavier but, bigger may be easier to work on. Just my $1.00 worth. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed May 26, 2004 9:55 am

My current project is an M. I'm not very far into it yet, but have several observations.

1. The bigger tractors were retired from farming before they were completely worn out. There are plenty of them that don't really need any mechanical work. This M is very sound, but ugly as sin! I bought this one poorly running, but it didn't take long to find and straighten the bent push rod. Voila! Runs perfectly.

2. When they get ugly... there's a LOT of ugly! It isn't really adding character like the ugly on Scruffy does. A closer look reveals no dents or rusted out sheet metal. When the surface rust and peeling paint go away it will be a nice tractor.

3. The Saginaw 3 pt hitch and Schwartz wide front, along with the live hydraulics will make this a great bush hogging tractor.

4. The 5 speed transmission and lots of power will make it even more useful. The road speed will make it possible to use it at my other farm too.

5. It's too big for Bigdog's trailer.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed May 26, 2004 10:45 am

Cub-Bud wrote:I have a 1945 B Farmall I am currently "re-newing" and I have found alot of "common ground" between it and a cub. In my opinion, the B is a little easier to work on. Take a look at the left side (carb side) of a cub and compare it to the same side on the B (the A is the same, too). All the components on the cub are "tightly packed" together and on the A and the B they are spread out more. Bigger is heavier but, bigger may be easier to work on. Just my $1.00 worth. :wink:

I agree....I had much, MUCH rather work on a Super A than a @!(*#$@(*#$ Cub. There is just enough difference between the Cub and the bigger tractors to make things more tedious. To me the Cub engine is much more finicky than the bigger tractors.

Also with regards to price you can buy a nice H, M, or even C for about the same money as a really nice Cub.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Wed May 26, 2004 9:13 pm

Thanks for the replies! They all provided me better insight. I have to admit I like Bigdog's idea of one of each in succession the best . . .
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Wed May 26, 2004 10:43 pm

Paul, one question that didn't get answered was about a forum for the other Farmalls, the answer,,, right here in the "other tractors" forum! :D There is a LOT of Farmall experience right here to draw from.

We also collect Farmall tractors, have a gander! 8)

The Chown's Tractor Collection
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu May 27, 2004 6:48 am

The most active Farmall forums I know of are the Red Power forum and the Farmall forum on YTMAG.com. There is also a Farmall forum on ATIS.net though it is not as active as the others.
I'd really like to see the "Other Tractors" forum on this site take off. The cub cadet forum is starting to pick up activity.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader

Postby welderrx » Fri May 28, 2004 6:58 pm

I vote for an F 20 there aren't to many of them restored around here yet Paul, I live about a half an hour away in Hunterdon county. Welderrx
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

Return to “Farmall Cub”