This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Season Long Garden Log For 2008! (With Pictures)

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Season Long Garden Log For 2008! (With Pictures)

Postby SONNY » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:52 pm

This will be a opening post, and a BIG WELCOME to all!! If you garden,PLEASE join us!--If you don't, or can't garden, but have ideas/info you have found, feel free to add that as well, more ideas the better!--this will be about what works for you!---no right or wrong!!--just how everyone does it!
Good time to start thinking about what you want to plant and where, also how much? Did you save seed from 07 to plant in 08? --we did!--another thing is what varieties of veggies do best in your area (this will differ from one area to the other)!
I think it would also be nice to show pics. of your garden equipment, too!--dosen't matter how new/old/big/little!!---Maybe you modified some hand tools?--post pics. of them!

With that being said!!----WERE OPEN FOR POST'S!!!! ----Have fun and most of all ENJOY!! ----thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:26 pm

We use Preen on our strawberries, early in the spring, but the per-annual weeds that have already sprouted have to be pulled!--we are looking to see what other pre-emerge chems could work! --there are a few that are available mail-order, but we are going to see what is here locally,as well!
Treflan used to be good on several garden crops. Dual II can be used on many garden crops too!--this is a start and will add more as we find them!
Once new garden areas have the weeds under control, the chem. use can be reduced!--we don't use a great amount, but a little is necessary to help with some of the tough weeds! thanks; sonny

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:29 am

I was told about a product called Poast. It is a grass killer that can be used on growing vegatables and flowers. For vegatables, I was told to spray it at the foot of the plant and not on the plant itself. I was told that it would kill okra and corn. The rest of the vegatables are safe from it. I have not used it, but if I can find some, I am going to try it this year on just a part of a row of peas and beans. As I said, I have not seen it nor tried it, so don't blame me if it kills anything big enough to die.

Billy

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Season Long Garden Log For 2008!

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:23 pm

I have been making a list of vegatables to grow and planning garden plots for this coming season.

I currently have 3 rather small plots. The largest is about 4 feet by 16 feet and am planning a 4th plot. The 4th plot will be approximately 8 feet by 20 feet.

Game plan for this coming season. 4th plot: Sweet corn and muskmelon.

The larger of the small plots is one year old. This plot has asparagus seed planted on one end. Strawberries to be planted in the center and beans, radish on the end.

Equipment. Other than plowing the new 4th plot with the Cub, all plots will be managed with hand tools.

Seeds. I do not save seeds from produce. I do save unused seed from packets.

I do have a seed germinator. I used it last spring. I feel that it paid for itself the first year - starting plants from seeds.

Small plots. My mother had about 1/4 acre garden. Man I hated hoeing it. With the small plots, it's not much of a psychological chore to work each plot.
I have an excuse. CRS.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:58 pm

This year,I have the size garden I've always wanted.HUGE!!!! acre plus.Corn will be the main crop with beans ,peas,tomatoes,squash,peppers[hot,mild and green] I cultivate until you can't and then pull weeds.I do a lot of grass around the plants also.I like to push cut my lawn.I've been using 12-12-12 fertilizer.Had real good results last year,but this is a new garden,first year from grass.I hope to do wellTime will tell.My Grandfather would have liked this garden.Wish he was here to give me some advice.His gardens were the best!!!!Kevin :D :D
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby DanR » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:17 am

Thank You Sonny`for starting this post. Great idea.
First advise for any gardener is don't put anything on your garden until you talk to your county Ag office. These folks have the best information around and they're goal is for you to have the best harvest possible. Chemistry changes often so keep up to date. As far as fertilizer goes again don't do anything until you have a soil test done. It's easy to spend big bucks on something that your soil does not need or even may upset the balance of things. Don't listen to advertising! Another good source for info is your local CO-OP. They usually have good ideas especially if you talk to one that has live in your area for sometime. Also CO-OP is a good place to buy your garden needs. They are usually the cheapest around and you may save the sales tax for "farm use" Keep the green side up and enjoy the fruits and vegetables of your hard work.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Bugler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bugler » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Sonny a little update on my garden creeper project,,,, I was going to use wheelchair wheels for my creeper but I ran into a problem with steering. I had salutions but I didn't like any of them,,,,,,today I had 5 bicycles given to me for the project. I think that will be the best route to go. :D :D
I can fix it,,,get me a bigger hammer.

1949 Cub "BB"
3 Pumkin Trailers
LT 1042 Cub Cadet
71 Screwdrivers
22 in. Honda Mower
Echo weedeater
Half a can of Kroil

Bugler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bugler » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Our garden this year will be 40' X 58',,,,I have turned it over for the winter. About seed, we did save tomato seeds,,,they are a old variety that was very popular when I was a kid in WV,,,,,call the "mortage maker" Burbees started selling the seeds back a few years and I think they are still in their catalog. We start the seeds in the house and we have very good luck with them in the garden. They are not a show mater but they sure do eat good and put up good. On the weed problem,,,, we put down old news papers and that helps with the weed problem. Sonny I seen where you were planting strawberries in Nov,,,,,,,I have some that need to be transplanted to a new row,,,,,,,,,when should they be done.

1949 Cub "BB"
3 Pumkin Trailers
LT 1042 Cub Cadet
71 Screwdrivers
22 in. Honda Mower
Echo weedeater
Half a can of Kroil

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:32 pm

If this thread will help even a few folks, then we are on the right track!--Makes me feel good, that folks are willing to share knowledge, and the beginners can come here in comfort and ask questions about gardening and get some information from others to make a success of their own!----Remember!--no-one is going to laugh at your question's!!--so ask away! this is intended to be a very friendly/helpful thread, and we have some VERY GOOD posts already!!--also this will run until the last person gets their harvest next fall!--so remember to add your progress reports as the coming growing season unfolds!--If possible toss in lots of pics. too!!
I like the seed sprouter idea!! that can cut a lot of days off the grow time of crops!--also some seed is hard to get sprouted in the ground and if already sprouted, will take right off!
Also if you would share your methods of freezing/canning/drying, or whatever preserving methods you use (if any, some just use fresh in season)!--We live from our gardens the year-round!--fresh in season, from the freezers/jars/and cold storage(potatoes, and a few "experimentals") in the winter and early spring!
Gardens really are important--lotta work, but OH the TASTE!!--makes it all worthwhile! Thanks again,and keep the ideas coming as you think of them! from Sonny & Virginia!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:06 pm

They would be dormant now and a couple weeks ago, Virginia said folks in your area were "fall planting" raspberries and blackberries! I would say if you can work the ground now, I would go ahead and move them!--they will have a good start for next year that way. When you do them, water the dirt in real good to settle it even more after you press it around them with your fingers, this gets the remaining air space filled and they have better chance of living!
Our Nov planting has gotten a lot of winter growth and most all of them grew!
If weather is too bad, do them early in the spring as soon as ground becomes workable!--We are going to move a few more at that time too, as our ground is now muddy/frozen/muddy/Etc!!
I think we will try some POST herbicide on the grass that I think we are going to have trouble with in the garden/berry patch! DUAL II can be used on several garden crops too, so there are a few grass/weed products on the market that would be helpful at keeping up with them!
On strawberries we have good luck here with the PREEN sprinkled on early in the spring!--I don't use much, but even a little is a big help and gives you a chance to work on the tough weeds! thanks; sonny

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

Howdy Sonny, Virginia, and everyone else!

Postby boldpsi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:15 pm

thanks for starting this post, SONNY :applause:
gardening, next to eating, is my favorite thing! :worthy:

here's a pic of my last crop of Brandywine tomatoes, which are in my opinion the best-tasting "slicer" of ALL TIME!!!!:

i got at least 25 tomatoes the size of this one here off each plant (that's very conservative), and i planted 10. i hill my tomatoes; i start with the level ground of the garden, and then strip all but the top couple of leaf whorls off, leaving a bare, ugly stem! then, i bury the whole thing up to the top of the plant with a manure/soil/compost mix, which sometimes results in a hill from 1.5 - 2 feet tall. all that extra depth will create a root system that even the hardest drought will not kill. this method has worked for me for years, and has yet to fail to produce a crop even with the wild swings our weather brings us up here in Syracuse.

here's a pic of the tomatoes; the poles are 8 feet tall:

dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

Bugler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bugler » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:54 pm

That sure is some fine looking maters,,,,,,ours don't look that good,but I will put their taste up to any of'em :D

1949 Cub "BB"
3 Pumkin Trailers
LT 1042 Cub Cadet
71 Screwdrivers
22 in. Honda Mower
Echo weedeater
Half a can of Kroil

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:10 am

Boldpsi,

You do your tomato very much like I do. I dig a post hole, and throw a hand full of bone meal in the bottom and mix in a hand full of dirt. I strip off all the leaves except the very top ones. Instead of laying mine down, I stand them up in the hole right up to the top leaves I left on, then fill the holes. After I get them all set out, I water them in good with Miracle Gro. Even with the deep root system, when summer gets here, you still have to water, but they can tolerate dryer conditions with the deep roots. Everything I set out gets watered in with Miracle Gro.

Billy

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:26 pm

I had good luck with miracle grow.But when you do long rows thats$$$$I'll use it on tomatoes and transplants[peppers,cucumbers and such,but peas,beans and corn get the side dresser and cultivated.A lot quicker.I have had good luck with grass clippings around plants[now long row stuff]keeps weeds down,dirt from drying out.Plan to make a heck of a run this year!!!! :D :D Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:02 pm

Wow Sonny, look what you have started!! I found the other site and caught up on your 07 garden threads and it was very interesting. It was something to see the wind turbines in the back ground working and man you’re hard on those tractors!!!....but that’s what they’re made for.

After I viewed your videos another came up called Farmall cub pulling a disk plow from someone by the handle of washcohillbilly. Washcohillbilly if you read this post, from the size of the garden you’re plowing you have a lot to add to this topic!!! Watch out for this guy, he drives a wild Cub!!!
Farmall cub pulling a disk plow
03:51 From: washcohillbilly
Caution: The rating is first-rate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sE5mhTmaHg

Sonny’s video chopping corn with his Cub…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD2jRZKXsRA

One other thing Sonny; do you have a fast internet connection for uploading those Videos? It looks like you’re out pretty far or, are you lucky like me; they hooked DSL up and hoped for the best.

Jack
Last edited by Jack fowler on Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”