This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Can't Drive Key out of Steering Worm Gear Shaft

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Can't Drive Key out of Steering Worm Gear Shaft

Postby Paul_NJ » Thu May 20, 2004 9:34 pm

Help!

I'd appreciate recommendations on driving the Woodruff Key out of the worm wheel shaft. I'm replacing the oil seal, which appears to have been leaking for a long time considering the thick grease accumulated below it in the steering gear housing. I removed the castle nut, the steering gear arm, and even though I couldn't get the key out, I was able to drive the shaft and gear out through the old seal with the key in place. But I'm afraid if I put it back together that way the key will damage the new seal. I tried knocking it out with a punch, and also tried using a prick punch and a hammer to start a corner of it outward, but only succeeded in gouging the end of the key a little bit. So I decided to stop and seek help from you guys.

What should I do?

Thanks!
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu May 20, 2004 10:13 pm

Paul, I usually use a small cold chisel, angled downward toward the shaft at about a 45 degree angle. This doesn't always work for the really tough ones, and if that is the case, you could try some heat, or soaking it with some penetrating oil for a few days. Good luck. :)
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 20, 2004 10:18 pm

Paul, I recently had one I couldn't get the key out of. After trying a punch, chisel. diagonal pliers, I took it to a machine shop. He tried for about 20 minutes, then welded a nut to it and it came right out. I assume it was a combination of the heat applied to the key by the welding, plus having a better way to grip it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Fri May 21, 2004 6:17 am

Thanks guys. . . I'll try those suggestions. Hope it doesn't come to the machine shop stage though.

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri May 21, 2004 6:21 am

There was a thread on this in the not too distant past. Someone and I don't remember who it was, suggested taking a Dremel with a cutting wheel and cutting the key lengthways so it could pull away from the sides of the keyway thus making it easy to remove.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri May 21, 2004 5:10 pm

Bigdog and Paul,

I started that thread and Jim Becker was the one who suggested the Dremel tool with the cutoff wheel. It worked where other methods failed.

Paul, make sure you didn't damage the bushing when you took the shaft out. I had to grind the key to clear the bushing.

Return to “Farmall Cub”